Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Any advise on my website please

Please feel free to offer any advise for improvements to my website.

www.swallowdale-brundall.co.uk

Thanks.

Default Re: Any advise on my website please

Looks like a nice, solid site with a nice, solid offering. One suggestion: It seems that the holiday home is nicely situated so perhaps you could put on the home page an image -- perhaps even a partial panorama -- with a view from the deck.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    Looks like a nice, solid site with a nice, solid offering. One suggestion: It seems that the holiday home is nicely situated so perhaps you could put on the home page an image -- perhaps even a partial panorama -- with a view from the deck.
    Hi Boy,

Thanks for your comments. The picture of the river on the home page is a view from the decking. I will have a look at taking a panoramic picture from the decking.

Ian, I meant a big picture that shows part of the deck so that people can imagine themselves already sitting there, having that great vacation that's on offer and only a few clicks away!

Thumbs up Re: Any advise on my website please

Quote Originally Posted by ianzzz5 View Post
    Please feel free to offer any advise for improvements to my website.
    www.swallowdale-brundall.co.uk
    Thanks.
    Ian, thank you for the offer - rubbing his hands.

General
    The header and footer being the same colour seem to add to the pages being flat.
    • Graduate the colours from sky blue (top) to a darker blue (bottom).

The broken underlining is wrong.
    • An ending y looks like a full stop.
    • An ending g has nothing.
    • The descenders breaking the underline is
    • some spaces between word do not have the underline.
    • You don't need bold and underline together. Underlines are normal for hyperlinks so elsewhere are distracting.

The McAfee SECURE is neat.
    Try and match the navigation buttons exactly to the links in the footer. I know some share a page. Typically, a repeat of the Navbar in text is one long line with a | separator
    You social media is good. My gut would place them all close together in the bottom right footer area. It seems wrong to invite someone to leave your site immediately, let them read left to right and top to bottom first.
    Your live chat is interesting. Is it effective in securing sales? It seems a lot of commitment for one holiday home, or it it shared?

Home

Balance the left and right margin.
    The framed images might be better if only the picture without the frame opened in HiSlide mode.
    • You can soft-group the frame and picture and only apply the pop-up choice to the picture.

The Review Bubble seems to point to Boat Hire.
    Have you put a transparency frame over the main text and review? It serves no real purpose.

Gallery
    Does the job.

Brundall
    Would the heading "Brundall Holiday Home" be better as "The Swallowdale Holiday Home is in Brundall"?

Norfolk Broads
    I had to really search for Brundall on the location map and Swallowdale is not marked. Perhaps some rollovers on the table to appear on the map?

Prices
    To be consistent, the page should have a Title.

Availability

Book Now
    here is no real difference between this and the Availability page so consider using just one.

Sitemap
    No real purpose as the site is quite navigable.

Links
    Let down with the lack of some graphics and poor alignment.

Mobile Variant
    One of the better ones I have seen.
    I don't like the hamburger menu being on the right though.
    The footer split of L|R(U-D) is a better balance to the Main L|C|R, which I think would be better as U-D(L|R).

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will work through them and make some changes.

The live chat is a pain and I rarely have it turned on, when it is off customers can use it to email and 99% of the time they use that rather than the ‘Contact Us’ page, so I have left it for that reason.

Home
    I don’t understand about the review bubble as when I click it goes to the ‘reviews’ page.

Norfolk Broads
    I like the idea of rollovers but how do I set them up?

Book Now
    Totally agree ‘Availability’ page is the same and not needed but I kept getting customers contact me asking if I had availability and a couple complained that I didn’t have a page showing availability, so I added the page and since then do not get customers asking.

Sitemap
    Agree not really needed. Will delete.

Links
    This page is only there for links to other sites that require a link on my site so I can get a backlink from theirs. I’ll have to have a look at it to try and improve it.

Mobile Variant
    I moved the hamburger menu from the left hand side only yesterday because on a small phone the menu and social buttons were all so close together and difficult to select. Moving the social buttons to the footer will solve this and I can move the hamburger back to the left.

Thanks,

Ian.

Home
    I don’t understand about the review bubble as when I click it goes to the ‘reviews’ page.

Norfolk Broads
    I like the idea of rollovers but how do I set them up?
    Ian, I was only suggesting the bubble pointing down was quite emphatic that the "speaker" was Boat Hire.

Ceate a number of Layers, named for each placename.
    On the map put a target or lightly coloured transparency over the placename.

Either change the table image to text and then link a row as a rollover to that placename layer or add a 99% transparent rectangles, the size of a row and rollover link them.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ian, I was only suggesting the bubble pointing down was quite emphatic that the "speaker" was Boat Hire.

Ceate a number of Layers, named for each placename.
    On the map put a target or lightly coloured transparency over the placename.

Either change the table image to text and then link a row as a rollover to that placename layer or add a 99% transparent rectangles, the size of a row and rollover link them.

Acorn
    I can see what you mean about the bubble now.
    Will give the rollover a go.

Thanks.

I can see what you mean about the bubble now.
    Will give the rollover a go. Thanks.
    Ian, the thanks is for you allowing your site to be reviewed.

Acorn

Hi Acorn,

I have made some of the changes that you advised, when you get a minute could you have a look at them please and see what you think.

Have changed footer to a different colour
    Have removed all underlines on headings on all pages.
    Have changed navigation menu on footer to text with | separator.
    Have moved social media icons to footer.
    Have balanced left and right margins on all pages.
    I can't get the 3 small pics on the home page to pop-up without the frame using soft-group. Any advise would be good!
    Have changed bubble on home page to a rectangle, the colour should be blue but changes to grey every time I save it for some reason.
    Have made changes to 'Norfolk Broads' page, adding rollovers on the table and a location of our property. I don't like the 'Hover Over Place Name With Mouse' text, but can't workout a better way to show this.
    Have removed Sitemap page.
    Have moved Hamburger on mobile site back to left hand side.

Thanks,

Ian.