Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: New Features?

Default New Features?

I am considering upgrading my Xara Photo & Graphics Designer program from last years version 12, to this years version. However, when I look at what they claim are new features, most of them I am able to do now.

For example:
    1. I already have all the social media templates they reference in the "new feature" video.
    2. I already have all the Smart shapes they featured in the "new features" video and can do precisely what the video of the "new" product can do.
    3. I have no way of confirming if my current program is already 64-bit and multi-core processing capable - not that it matters because saving a photo doesn't take much time anyway.
    4. I have NO way of knowing how many stock photos I already have available to me - so is over 1 million actually an increase or not? Furthermore, do they not only have one stock photo archive from which to draw...so that if they increase the photos, don't I automatically have access to all the new photos regardless of my version of the product?
    5. I already have access to CMYK & RGB in Color Editor.
    6. I already have .gif, .png, .jpg, .psd, .pdf, .ai formats
    ...etc.

I mean I do not mind the small price tag they require for upgrading, but at least in regard to those thing I can verify, it doesn't look like it is actually upgrading anything at all.

Can someone help me confirm what is actually "new" in this latest upgrade for Photo & Graphics Designer?
    Last edited by MyX'ra; 22 March 2018 at 05:06 PM.

Default Re: New Features?

It's all window-dressing as far as I can see. Nothing that is enough to encourage panic buying. (Nice avatar, btw)
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thank you, I was afraid that was the case. I do make heavy use of the Stock Photos and would easily pay that amount for access to more, but unless they limit access based upon versions...it seems to me that access is access. If they add photos to their repository it would be immediately available to everyone who has access to the stock photos regardless of what version you are running. Do you know if this is true?

Sorry, I have never used the online content and probably never will. I expect someone who knows will be along soon enough.
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Info Re: New Features?

Quote Originally Posted by MyX'ra View Post
    Thank you, I was afraid that was the case. I do make heavy use of the Stock Photos and would easily pay that amount for access to more, but unless they limit access based upon versions...it seems to me that access is access. If they add photos to their repository it would be immediately available to everyone who has access to the stock photos regardless of what version you are running. Do you know if this is true?
    Xara have different repositories for different versions so they can be shut down at any time and Xara will probably do that when they consider v11 or v12 are no longer supported. For Pixabay, Xara, at TGers request, enabled SafeSearch to block adult content.

It is better to access Pixabay directly, create an account and work from there. You then have the opportunity to "Discover over 1.3 million images and videos shared by our generous community" without Xara control or interference; you get to select your download resolution.

The more interesting aspect, for me, is the free access to builder tools, Pixabay use or endorse: https://goodies.pixabay.com/. Here is a free Easter one: https://pagewizz.com/static/pixabay/...wallpapers.zip (94MB). Here is a JavaScript (Plain JS) library of plugins: https://plainjs.com/javascript/plugins/.

The hype around v15 was not for those with v12, it was to get people off v11 and into a cycle of annual re-subscription. v11 on-line access is "forever", which is why Xara does not include a Search, did not add in the business templates or update any of the widgets.

Don't let Xara constrain you.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the link, Acorn. Very useful.

I just went to Pixabay and created my account and have already found several images and 1 video that were useful. You Rock, Acorn, thank you for the reply and the advice.

You rock Acorn
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Egg, put Xara 3D7 back in its box, I'm dizzy now!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Wasn't sure if you were Rocking or Rolling there Acorn but you're definitely not Yawing.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host