Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default oil and water revisited

Still searching for a good composition, I find these great fun. I used 2 speed lights with different colored gels, an 18mm to 55mm kit lens and an extension tube for macro.
    I used a "Subway cup" for a snoot, and I have a barn door on the other speed light, skimming across the surface, sometimes it worked sometimes not. Anyway, hope you enjoy these.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil water 1 mar 6.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	120312   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil water11 mar 6.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	120313  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil water12 mar 6.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	35.1 KB 
ID:	120314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil water14 mar 6-15.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	120315  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil and water 1 mar 9.jpg 
Views:	306 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	120316   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180308_114417.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	120317  

Default Re: oil and water revisited

So elegant, Tim. Love the Subway cup. I was always amazed when I worked with advertising photographers how much was cobbed together.

Love those Tim. Beautiful images.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Your note about the kit you used was interesting and appreciated.
    TJB

Oil & Water 12 (third image) is my favorite, mostly because of the choice of colors. Good Job, Tim!

Quote Originally Posted by TimS View Post
    Still searching for a good composition, I find these great fun. I used 2 speed lights with different colored gels, an 18mm to 55mm kit lens and an extension tube for macro.
    I used a "Subway cup" for a snoot, and I have a barn door on the other speed light, skimming across the surface, sometimes it worked sometimes not. Anyway, hope you enjoy these.
    I must be dense because I do not understand the last image with the subway cup and I have tried over and over to make sense of it. Love all the others though, and do not have a favorite.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I must be dense because I do not understand the last image with the subway cup and I have tried over and over to make sense of it. Love all the others though, and do not have a favorite.
    The cup has been levered into become a snoot to focus one of the lights avoiding a spill over. The photo is Tim's studio setup.

No worse than me sitting in the dark with a pinprick of light suspended on a two-string pendulum on a time exposure to capture the pure randomness of the ligh traces - all with emulsion film.
    Bring back Kodachrome 25.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

OK I sort of understand, what you say. I was looking at the image as a whole and trying to make sense of all the elements working together., not just the light aspect.
    Thanks Acorn
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

So sorry for the confusion. Gary had asked me when I do these table top shots if I could step back and take a photo so to show my set up. So.... before I put the water in the small glass bowl, I snapped a photo with my phone and included it in the post. I just try different things to create different results. Hope that helps understand what that extra photo is. I've put tissue paper in front of the speedlights, bounced off colored paper, The "Subway snoot" etc. Great fun.
    Also, a big thank you for all the nice comments...