Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: VERSION 15 UPGRADE??????

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    John, I have never invoked this offer myself as I host my sites elsewhere with one domain name I renew through MAGIX annually. I, however, didn't think the MAGIX offer was perpetual.

Here is what is on-line: https://support.xara.com/index.php?/...th-domain-name.

My Xara Web Designer 10 Premium email states:

Sorry to disappoint,
    Acorn
    Thanks, Acorn, for that. I should have read the T&Cs more carefully when I bought the earlier version (partly because it came with web space), but since it was much more than a year ago that I bought WDPrem and I have been uploading to the Magix site without problems, I assumed it was mine for ever. My experience of taking out an annual subscription is not good (they tend to keep going up in price) and I will just abandon the idea of a website when the Xara one runs out.

http://f4fhi2.xara.hosting/index.htm

Thanks again for taking the time to reply,
    John

John Manning - The software is yours forever. What you lose if you do not renew your licence is the content from the Online Content Catalog.

You can rename your Xara.Online hosting BTW so it could be Brynheulog.xara.hosting

Also name your pages so they show up in the browser tab with the page name, e.g.
    Brynheulog Home vs index

Thanks gwpriester, for the tips. I'll give it a try.

Info Re: VERSION 15 UPGRADE??????

Quote Originally Posted by John Manning View Post
    Thanks gwpriester, for the tips. I'll give it a try.
    John, that was quick, http://brynheulog.xara.hosting/index.htm is there already. It would be a loss for your site to disappear; You've packed a lot into a small jewel.

You can always search out and use a free domain hosting service - free for ever.
    You could then pay for your own domain name this is around £10 a year or cheaper and most free domain services will host under that domain.

What Magix offers pales into insignificance:

I use JustHost for all my clients and in taking out a 5-year coverage my hosting costs are similar to my domain names.

The clever thing about Xara websires it they can sit almost anywhere: USB stick, recordable media, the Cloud, a website. So moving form one to the other is really painless.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi again Acorn,
    When you're 70 there's plenty of free time to do these things....
    Thanks to you and gwpriester for helping an old codger. I think I'll let my keyboard cool down for a while now...
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Manning View Post
    Hi again Acorn,
    When you're 70 there's plenty of free time to do these things....
    Thanks to you and gwpriester for helping an old codger. I think I'll let my keyboard cool down for a while now...
    John
    So John, you worked with the BBC when it was steam-driven!

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, Acorn, I started at a time when much of the broadcast equipment used valves; semiconductors and LSI chips were new and upcoming technology! Colour TV had just begun, and the BBC was entering a period of expansion requiring large numbers of engineers - hence even I was able to get work there, in 1969, on the day after man first set foot on the moon.
    Colour cameras used 4 plumbicon tubes each costing £600 - it's incredible to me that, after spending much of my life repairing and aligning large heavy cameras we can carry far better ones in our pockets.
    In the 1980s I joined Demon Internet, using their Turnpike software, and stayed with them for decades. My subscription included my website space, albeit a very small one, which was slow to administer via dial-up. Eventually, after Demon had changed ownership several times, I was informed that the web hosting service had been outsourced to another company and I would have to pay around £4 per month to retain it. This to me, was a betrayal of my loyalty to the company, and when Demon's (then Vodafone's) promises to upgrade its broadband service kept being delayed I left them for BT, about 3 years ago.
    I no longer had access to my old website (but it's still there, way out of date, at www.brynheulog.demon.co.uk/) so when the offer of Xara WD came up with included hosting by Magix I expected (mistakenly) that I had permanent use of it paid for by my initial purchase. It was my error that I didn't fully understand the conditions.
    I will take on board the helpful advice you have kindly offered and consider what to do when my year's free hosting runs out. Who knows what will be available at that time?
    Thanks again,
    John