Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara slideshow widget

Hi all

Due to a number or reasons unfortunately it is likely that I will not be in a position to renew my Xara pro x license this year.

Can I just check that existing sites that I have built that contain the Xara slideshow widget will continue to operate after this please?

Default Re: Xara slideshow widget

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyy View Post
    Hi all
    Due to a number or reasons unfortunately it is likely that I will not be in a position to renew my Xara pro x license this year.
    Can I just check that existing sites that I have built that contain the Xara slideshow widget will continue to operate after this please?
    That is my understanding.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Many thanks Acorn!

Could someone from Xara confirm this please?

I have just update to Version 15 and tried to use the Xara widget - I was asked to input my Xara hosting details which compounded my concern re the widget continuing to work if I don't have current Xara software or hosting. As no one from Xara has answered my question on the forum, I have raised a support ticket - will let you all know when I receive a response.

Hi,

Where were you in the program or what were you doing when this question was asked? Opening the widget in Xara or uploading?

The question that I asked previously was more or less where are the photos stored when you use the Xara slideshow widget. They are saved to Xara cloud somewhere as far as I can tell, but I don't recall logging in to use the widget, so I don't think that the photos are stored in my space. This is worrisome. I wouldn't want my photos to disappear from my websites for some reason, like not renewing.

Looking forward to your reply from Xara.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Hi all

Here is the response that I received from the support ticket I raised: You should still be able to access the Xara slideshow after your update period expires.

Quote Originally Posted by nobbyy View Post
    Hi all

Here is the response that I received from the support ticket I raised: You should still be able to access the Xara slideshow after your update period expires.
    What a dire response.

The Xara Slidehow Widget is hosted at https://widgets.xara-online.com/slider/index.php and technically one can login directly, bypassing the Xara application.

The worry I have is in the URL and the login.
    The URL uses a Token, which I am sure will expire when the Update Service lapses.
    The login will therefore fail.

For an existing site, using the slideshow, there would have to be a read-only aspect that renders the slideshow but denies update access. I have seen no evidence of this.
    Are there any TGers who are Update Service lapsers and have websites that use the Xara Slideshow Widget?

The EULA is quite specific:
    D. UPDATE SERVICE
    The license for updates and features delivered within the scope of the Update Service is limited to the installation(s) in place at the first anniversary of the initial registration of the Software, or at the date of last renewal if that is more recent. It will therefore terminate if you re-install the software after the Update Service has lapsed, and you will fall back to the version of the software at the date of your initial purchase and registration, or the date of last renewal if that is more recent. These limitations do not apply if you extend the Update Service beyond the initial 12-month period.

Any online services included in the Software (M hosting, Xara Online Designer and the Online Content Catalog) will end as soon as the Update Service expires, unless the Update Service is extended beyond the initial 12-month period.
    The giveaway is the URL. So without something in writing in the Help, the live slideshow site or the EULA, you are out on a limb.

The proof of the pudding was a promise by Kate Moir to restore the Xara Slideshow Widget, which has been done only for v15.
    It is all too easy for Xara to remove a widget from the On-line Content Catalogue, as proven, and you are forced to resubscribe or update to a later version.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I am using v15 but cannot load the Xara Slideshow Widget.

Using the URL in Acorn's #7 post, I can view existing slideshows and create new slideshows but cannot export them to Xara Web Designer Premium 15.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jayceeuk View Post
    I am using v15 but cannot load the Xara Slideshow Widget.
    Using the URL in Acorn's #7 post, I can view existing slideshows and create new slideshows but cannot export them to Xara Web Designer Premium 15.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Insert > From Content Catalogue > Components: Slideshow --> Import Xara Slideshow Widget.

You will then have a Placeholder with a Preview and selecting Edit (Widget) takes you back to the slideshow edit page.

The Placeholder head is:
    </script><script type="text/javascript" src="https://widgets.xara-online.com/slider/js/mxslider.js"></script>
    The Placeholder body is:
    <div class="mxSlider" style="width:100%;height:100%;" data-slideshowid="***********************" data-r="*********************"></div>

Why the head starts with a spurious terminate style Tag has eluded me; the slideshow still works when it is deleted.
    Equally, the data-r parameter may only to keep the slideshow editor state between edits.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Insert > From Content Catalogue > Components: Slideshow --> Import Xara Slideshow Widget.

You will then have a Placeholder with a Preview and selecting Edit (Widget) takes you back to the slideshow edit page.

The Placeholder head is:
    </script><script type="text/javascript" src="https://widgets.xara-online.com/slider/js/mxslider.js"></script>
    The Placeholder body is:
    <div class="mxSlider" style="width:100%;height:100%;" data-slideshowid="***********************" data-r="*********************"></div>

Why the head starts with a spurious terminate style Tag has eluded me; the slideshow still works when it is deleted.
    Equally, the data-r parameter may only to keep the slideshow editor state between edits.

Acorn
    Thank you Acorn.

Unfortunately, using the Content Catalogue, I cannot login from WD365 as the blue loading gadget constantly revolves.

However, I can login using your supplied URL but cannot locate the data-slideshowid and data-r values online to copy to a placeholder HTML body.

Perhaps someone from Xara can comment the this widget is still usable?