Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: JPG Importing Changes File Size

You can see the image size as in the embedded photo. You need to select the image with the "pick tool" (arrow), and see the image size in the toolbar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara xample.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	120239

@edmiston99, the OP is talking about the picture pixel dimensions on import (being reduced to a default 500px width), not the scale on the page. This is relevant if you are scaling up to a much larger width.
    @Egg, I am making a guess that XWDP does not have the import option to override or change this; XDPX does.
    @Gary, the 100% tool is a coarse control as it only scales on the centre of the image; one then has to re-position all over again. The dragging of corners is more controllable. Deleting and dragging afresh form the Bitmap gallery resotres to 100% (96dpi).

My Post #2 stands but I am happy to be corrected.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

@Egg, I am making a guess that XWDP does not have the import option to override or change this; XDPX does.
    Cheers Acorn, I can never remember what's included & not included within all these Xara optional software variations.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Cheers Acorn, I can never remember what's included & not included within all these Xara optional software variations.
    The sad thing is a lot of the time the code is in the lesser application, it is just the User Interface that has been mangled to satisfy some weird marketing dream that by making the designer jump through hoops to achieve something the hard way will force them to buy XDPX.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I don't have the same options under Utilities as you have. ???Click image for larger version. 

Name:	View Bitmaps.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	116.4 KB 
ID:	120243

Mine scales the entire page view, not just a photo. I'm not seeing the features or the "view bitmap" that Egg mentioned above

Egg's screen capture is for Designer Pro X. WD 365 does not have those same options.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Alliefan, it doesn't matter what filesize an image is when you import them into Xara. For example if you drag in a 4000px x 3000px then resize it 500px x 375px and publish your site Xara creates a jpg (or png) at 500 x 375 @ 96dpi when published to html. However it remains as a 4000 x 3000 within the xar/web file.

It's the same with highslide images except it creates a thumbnail image and a second one at the zoomed size, which is determined by the width you set in Xara. Slideshows are handled in the same manner.

Here is how your four images are published on your site:

EDIT: Rereading your post I misunderstood your issue. This is being caused by Utilities / Options / View / Bitmaps. Yours appears to be set to 'Resize large images to 500 px'. You can set this to 'import all photos at 96dpi. It would be advisable to set this and resave the blank web template otherwise it defaults to 500px.
    Hi Egg,
    Can't find those settings in WDP v15???

Hi LGF. Apparently it's as Gary stated:
    Egg's screen capture is for Designer Pro X. WD 365 does not have those same options.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So if I can't change the dpi of a jpg that is imported .. please educate me on this ... merely dragging a picture to a larger size once imported does not change the dpi correct? spreading the picture out (making it larger) makes the image quality lower or it has no effect?

Image quality of photos is of particular importance on this one project I'm working on. Images are being rendered on very large displays are being compared for quality. It I needed to upgrade my software that would allow me more control of how images are imported ... which would you recommend?
    Last edited by Alliefan; 04 March 2018 at 02:21 PM.