Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default JPG Importing Changes File Size

We are trying to experiment with size, quality and cropping of some pictures on our site so we can make some improvements. So I created the test site below so we could test some things. However, I immediately noticed that the jpg size is changed once I import it to my web files. Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to prevent this from happening?

Details: The original size of the 4 photos are as follows...
    Project A is size 954KB
    Project B is size 243KB
    Project C is size 173KB
    Project D is size 91KB

I uploaded each photo to a different page on the test below. Project A is uploaded to the page named Project A, etc. Not only do they appear to be the same size on each page once I import them. But if I click on the picture, then right click and choose "Ask Bing about this picture", all 4 photos are 500x357 / 42 KB.

Next question: This is probably happening when pictures on imported into slideshow widgets that are used also. Our slideshows are full screen (we have several on our original site) so the slideshow widget already crops our pictures once loaded into the widget. We want to adjust our picture so that, once loaded, it isn't cropping out parts of the picture we need to show ... as well as, loose picture quality.

http://www.casteendesign.com/eci/a.htm

Default Re: JPG Importing Changes File Size

Quote Originally Posted by Alliefan View Post
    We are trying to experiment with size, quality and cropping of some pictures on our site so we can make some improvements. So I created the test site below so we could test some things. However, I immediately noticed that the jpg size is changed once I import it to my web files. Is there a setting somewhere that I can change to prevent this from happening?

Details: The original size of the 4 photos are as follows...
    Project A is size 954KB
    Project B is size 243KB
    Project C is size 173KB
    Project D is size 91KB

I uploaded each photo to a different page on the test below. Project A is uploaded to the page named Project A, etc. Not only do they appear to be the same size on each page once I import them. But if I click on the picture, then right click and choose "Ask Bing about this picture", all 4 photos are 500x357 / 42 KB.

Next question: This is probably happening when pictures on imported into slideshow widgets that are used also. Our slideshows are full screen (we have several on our original site) so the slideshow widget already crops our pictures once loaded into the widget. We want to adjust our picture so that, once loaded, it isn't cropping out parts of the picture we need to show ... as well as, loose picture quality.

http://www.casteendesign.com/eci/a.htm
    Try opening a Blank Photo template and importing into that first then copy & paste to the target design.
    That should bring the image in at its original pixel dimensions but scaled to 96dpi.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Alliefan, it doesn't matter what filesize an image is when you import them into Xara. For example if you drag in a 4000px x 3000px then resize it 500px x 375px and publish your site Xara creates a jpg (or png) at 500 x 375 @ 96dpi when published to html. However it remains as a 4000 x 3000 within the xar/web file.

It's the same with highslide images except it creates a thumbnail image and a second one at the zoomed size, which is determined by the width you set in Xara. Slideshows are handled in the same manner.

Here is how your four images are published on your site:

EDIT: Rereading your post I misunderstood your issue. This is being caused by Utilities / Options / View / Bitmaps. Yours appears to be set to 'Resize large images to 500 px'. You can set this to 'import all photos at 96dpi. It would be advisable to set this and resave the blank web template otherwise it defaults to 500px.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-sizes.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	120229   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resize-large.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	25.1 KB 
ID:	120230  

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Ok I will try the 2 suggestions. Can you please tell me how to view the size of a jpg that is on a web file I am working on before exporting it out? So I can show coworkers as I'm working on it? If I click on a jpg and right click, none of those options show the jpg size.

Physical size? If so select the photo with the Photo Tool then click the 100% icon on the Infobar. This will show the actual size of the image at 1:1 (96dpi).

The pixel dimensions will also appear on the Infobar H & W.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100 percent.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	120235  

Never, ever seen that before Gary
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

So does it make sense to import images at 96 dpi so that when the website file is saved, it is a smaller working file?

No, the file size will be the same (I think). Xara publishes images at 96 and 192 dpi. The higher dpi is for devices with retina quality display. You can turn this option off in Web Properties > Website. Basically resize your image how you want it then optimize the image to eighter 96 or 192. Xara will export at these two resolutions and will only display the correct image for the device or browser.

Dear Gary, I mean on the hard disk when saved as a project .web

They always come in at 500. You have to then make them their original (or the desired) size from there. The file size in Kb is irrelevant. Just pay attention to the width and height in pixels.