Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Browser and search engine suggestions

Thanks, mwenz, for the tip re the Vivaldi browser, and thanks, gwpriester, for the info on duckduckgo, in another thread (https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...606#post589606).

I spent way too much time customizing Vivaldi yesterday () when trying it out, OTW, I like it a lot. Not so fond of the UI color changing according to the website in the tab, Particularly dislike the red that shows up for TalkGraphics. Thankfully, other color changes are less uncomfortable. Getting the Bookmarks to display images instead of text has also been a bit bumpy. It's more or less doable, but clunky and slow. (I have a lot of bookmarks to particular pages on some sites where the url string just doesn't cut it.)

That said, Vivaldi is distinctly faster than Opera (my long-time fave), and it has operated smoothly with a couple of utility vendor sites that bark at Opera. I wasn't happy when Opera shifted to the Chrome engine. Glad to have an alternative. I'll probably have to maintain both because the Opera interface is generally easier on my eyes.

Default Re: Browser and search engine suggestions

You can make Vivaldi not do the colored tabs, etc. It can be completely customized. For the colored tabs, I seem to remember it is changeable via editing the theme you are using.

It too is Chrome based.

Thanks again, Mike. I had customized the theme, but I hadn't recognized "Accent Color from Active Page" as the control for turning of the color changing. Much happier now.

I thought it looked like a Chrome-base, but it seems to be a lot smoother in some respects.

OK How do I create a list of my bookmarks? I'm not totally convinced that Vivaldi is better than Firefox. What am I missing? I am giving it a try though I think if I switch from Firefox I would switch to Edge. Talk to me.

On the screen with the tiles/speed dial, you can opt to import your bookmarks from a number of browsers, FF included.

Use whatever browser ya want. It's all down to personal preference anyway. But I personally dislike how clunky FF is. I do use it for site testing, but that's about it. Same with Edge.

Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I like vivaldi ...

First browser I ever used was Netscape back in 1997.. followed by internet explorer... when in mid 2004 MS finally put a firewall into windows XP with SP2 there were still a lot of security questions around IE so when FireFox as we know it came out in late 2004 I gave it a go; stopped with it ever since as browser of choice

used other browsers, often in the real world I work in it's necessary to have two or more browsers with different levels of permissions - switching browsers is less bother than switching permission settings on the hoof all the time

I really like the way vivaldi is laid out, and the speed, and the setting options are easy to deal with

not all the chrome base extensions I tried work with it, but the important ones [for me] do

yes, I like it... thanks

It does support Ghostery (or vice versa). Is there a similar app to block tracking sites, etc?

I looked at a door set (handle and deadbolt) from a site and then Google popped up ads with the same door set (coincidence?) on almost every page I visited.

both 'privacy badger' and 'duckduckgo privacy essentials' will install in vivaldi - but I don't currently know how well they work.. takes time with these

Thanks. I have used Privacy Badger. I'll try it in Vivaldi.