Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Consecutive numbering

I want to print a document, for example an invoice or an event ticket, and add consecutive numbering to the document. For example 10002 to 10075. Is this possible in Xara 365?

Default Re: Consecutive numbering

Quote Originally Posted by Artworx View Post
    I want to print a document, for example an invoice or an event ticket, and add consecutive numbering to the document. For example 10002 to 10075. Is this possible in Xara 365?
    Only in Xara Designer Pro X, not Web Designer or Premium.

It is a case of Xara being niggardly.

You can enter a page number with Insert > Page number and set up to 5 digits.
    This results in a repeating object that will appear on all current or subsequent pages.

If you want consecutive numbers appearing on the same page, this is harder but you can experiment with Numbered Lists.
    Lists can go up to 1073741823 (2^30 - 1).

If more complicated, I can probably build a utility similar to Random Ticket Number Generator.web that would work acrss page (in a SuperSite) or multiple numbers on any page or any combination.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for your help!

I want to print an invoice from Xara (I use Designer Pro X) and I want a number that starts, for example, with 00001. And the second page that is printed to have the number 00002, etc. I may need to print 1000 or 2000 copies with the number incremented by 1 on each subsequent printed page. If you can build a utility that will do this, that would be great.

Building invoices in XDP seems like a fool's errand. Much less adding in consecutive numbering.

You can buy (and there is a free one available, but I forget its name right off) and post-number PDFs. Acrobat can also do Bates numbering but I haven't used in a long time and cannot recall if it would be applicable to this or not.

Really, why not use an invoicing application?

Acorn's method is brilliant and now that Xara allows you to specify the first page number you just keep duplicating the page and the number automatically increases.

Set up the page like a template.

Acron, your suggestion worked great, thanks for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by Artworx View Post
    Acron, your suggestion worked great, thanks for your help!
    I am pleased you've got a way ahead.

I suggested I could deliver a more bespoke case.

I managed it all in CSS:

<style>

body {
    counter-reset: cssnumber 0;
    }

.snumber, span {
    counter-increment: cssnumber;
    }

.snumber::before, span::before {
    content: "00000" counter(cssnumber) ".\0000a0";
    font-size:8pt;
    color: green;
    }

.snumber:nth-child(n+10)::before {
    content: "0000" counter(cssnumber) ".\0000a0";
    }

.snumber:nth-child(n+100)::before {
    content: "000" counter(cssnumber) ".\0000a0";
    }

.snumber:nth-child(n+1000)::before {
    content: "00" counter(cssnumber) ".\0000a0";
    }

.snumber:nth-child(n+10000)::before {
    content: "0" counter(cssnumber) ".\0000a0";
    }

.snumber:nth-child(n+100000)::before {
    content: counter(cssnumber) ".\0000a0";
    }

</style>
    This goes into the Website HTML Code (body) and the site also needs a Placeholder with a special Name, UsesJQuery, to ensure the jQuery code is added.
    The red "span" CSS is there to demonstrate document line numbering for any large text document. span-numbering, here, always has 5 leading zeroes.
    Normally, you would Name some text object with htmlclass=snumber and then such an item would have an incrementing prefix with up to five leading zeroes, which is why the snumber CSS statements are more elaborate.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Acron thanks for the CSS code. Not sure how to use it but I will play around and see what happens! Thanks again!