Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default An innocent update or something sinister?

Okay. So, here's the WHOLE story...

I now have 3 computers' mouse and keyboards that have stopped working. I bought a new computer to replace my main computer that stopped working. Apparently, Microsoft has automatically installed a windows update that screws up computers. AND! Microsoft installed it TWICE just to make sure that it was there. No other update was installed twice, just this particular update (KB 4074588). You have to enter safe mode via the F8. And reset your computer (which wipes every app that you installed, not the factory installed apps). Here's the fun part. After resetting your computer and losing your preciously expensive apps (but your files stay in place), you have to go into your computer's control panel and uninstall the update (KB 4074588) twice as Microsoft made sure you would have trouble with your computer. Plus, I would recommend stopping your computer from AUTOMATICALLY updating so you can see which updates they "suggest" you install on your computer. If they suggest you install KB 4074588 again, DON'T DO IT.

To find out if your computer is infected go to control panel and click on "Programs and Features" then, in the upper left portion of the window, click on "view installed updates" and remove from the computer KB 4074588. If your computer's mouse and keyboard are working fine, I would still suggest you uninstall that update anyway. Look for it to be on your computer at least twice so that you don't have any problems with your computer in the future. This is especially important if your computer is an older computer. And sometimes the problem is that the computer gets stuck on a screen before you even get to sign in.

If you don't know how to stop Windows from updating automatically, just search for a video on YouTube on HOW to stop that.

I'm no computer geek, so please, if you aren't certain, ask someone you know who is an IT person about all this.

Here's wishing you NEVER have this trouble with your computer.

Mark

P.S...After I called them, Microsoft ADMITTED that they caused the problem and told me which update to remove, KB 4074588.

Default Re: An innocent update or something sinister?

firstly I have KB 4074588 installed on my windows 10 pro [installed on 14feb18] - it has caused me no problems what so ever and I have no intention of removing it

secondly, as I understand it, those who are having issues with this update are having issues that relate to USB/bootup.. yes that may well scupper a usb mouse/keyboard, but the mouse/keyboard not working is a consequence of something else more deep routed

thirdly - there is a problem issuing updates that suit all computers under all conditions.. frankly that is impossible to get right all the time - and MS do make mistakes sometimes, we all do

I would not recommend anyone from stopping automatic updates - and when it comes to youtube, it is full of stuff that is as likely to do harm as good - if you are not a 'geek' how do you know the difference? - you can 'hide' updates that are giving you a problem see here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...driver-updates - stopping the update service is not clever

this is a prime example of why you should have backup images - or if you don't want to do that, learn how to use the full range of recovery methods, especially system restore points, see here: [first option] https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/...covery-options

microsoft may have conceeded that the problems you had were as a result of their update, but that does not mean it's going to be a problem for everyone... certainly is an issue for some, but that is still only some

Sorry to hear of your travails, Mark. It's always upsetting when a computer system we rely on so much fails us.

Weird that you also had problems with the update on a new computer but you're not the only one: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...rking-usb.html.

I'm glad that it did not wreak havoc on my system as everything is working as it should.

There is a lot of chatter about W10 1709 Cumulative Update: https://www.computerworld.com/articl...rking-usb.html.
    Some suggest the USB Ports being disabled go back as far as CU 1703.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

not gone into this in depth but it seems likely that the issue is with particular chipset and/or usb drivers

there is no guarantee that a new computer is set up with the correct drivers, [plus the order in which things are applied can be important], but no exact idea why you have the problem without looking at your computer, which I can't of course.. but generally speaking the best policy is to make sure everything else is up to date because each MS update is going to 'assume' that it is..

and, yes it's annoying... but try to look on it as a learning experience; mistakes will happen, be prepared...

by the way...

does anyone here know why my new computer will not work with a wireless mouse?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    by the way...
    does anyone here know why my new computer will not work with a wireless mouse?
    The 1709 CU is reportedly mucking around with USB Ports so it is possible it is affecting your wireless mouse; mine has a little Bluetooth adaptor that lives in one of my USB Ports.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Mark - going to go out on a limb here... but your wireless connected mouse connects to a usb 'dongle' [call it what you will] that is plugged into a usb port - ergo it is a usb mouse....

so no by the way....