Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Getting Rid of the Simplitec PUP

Well,
    What browser do you all use? I've always liked Chrome for web surfing, but if there is a less problematic browser out there I'd like to know which one is recommended by my associates here.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

ah there's a can of worms...

I certainly wouldn't say chrome was a bad browser, certainly not bad enough not to use; any more than I would say don't use google search, although duckduckgo is a good alternative [I think you use that Gary?]

All the major windows search engines browsers: Edge, IE, FireFox, Chrome are good, although IE is effectively depricated by MS so it should be phased out

What it boils down to it how you use them - do you want them to work out of the box, or do you want to customise them so they behave in a way you prefer? - out of the box use any of them [except IE] - you will pay a price in terms of privacy and putting up with ads ... but everything has it's price - which ever you prefer

So chrome is fine if you want to use a browser out of the box; the reason I don't care for it is because it is far harder to customise the way I like than Firefox which is my main browser

Opera is still my fave.

I didn't appreciate the deep interaction Google has in Opera: http://laptopmedia.com/highlights/th...rfox-vs-opera/.
    I use Opera when I want to not be snooped on as it has in-built VPN. In such occasions, speed is not important.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

opera is not the same since it lost its independance - but it is still there and if you need a free VPN that is certainly a good point... although not sure I would want to use a free one.....

So, duckduckgo is really an add-on to Chrome, not an actual stand-alone browser?

Xara's Facebook

duckduckgo is a search engine, not a browser - sorry if I caused confusion there....

I used to opera and loved it. Switched to firefox and used that for a long time, however I like and use speed dial and that no longer works with firefox, a lot of things don't since they changed it, so I switched back to opera. I must admit though that opera is no longer the same easy to use browser I liked. I tried Chrome but that was not for me.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks for the clarification, Steve.

No you did just fine. I'm just very slow.

Xara's Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Ron, if you use Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features then that should have removed it.
    I installed it once, for a laugh, and it was cleanly removed.

Was it running as the time of your uninstall?
    It might not go until you have Restarted.

Does it still have content in a folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\ or C:\Program Files\?

I use CCleaner as described in this article: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...om-add-remove/

Acorn
    George,
    THANKS!
    I think that article you referred me to might have done. I searched to see if there was any traces of Simplitec on my hard drive. There wasn't. However, after I ran the "Registry Cleaner" in CCleaner and then rebooted, I haven't seen the Simplitec PUPs after running Malwarebytes or RogueKiller.
    So, this is hoping in future scans it doesn't appear anymore.

Xara's Facebook