Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Getting Rid of the Simplitec PUP

How can I get rid of the Simplitec PUP. I've run RogueKiller, AdwCleaner and Malwarebytes, but when I run RogueKiller later down the road, Simplitec shows up again. I know I mistakenly installed it with Xara Designer, but there must be a way to get rid of it.

Anyone know how to do this?
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Getting Rid of the Simplitec PUP

can you not uninstall it from windows control panel

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    can you not uninstall it from windows control panel
    Hi Steve,
    I'm sorry, I should have mentioned that that was the first thing I tried. It was on the list of programs and I did uninstall it. It no longer shows up in "Programs and Features" list. That's when I went to the malware programs to try and get rid of it.

Xara's Facebook

sure ron... so you unlinstalled it in programs and features - therefore I assume it's not showing in your list of programs on the start menu, and if you type simplitec into the windows 10 search nothing runs?

if so then what your malware programs are reporting may just be an untidy registry - never used simplitec, but it's not malware just [in my opinion] unnecessary

Info Re: Getting Rid of the Simplitec PUP

Ron, if you use Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features then that should have removed it.
    I installed it once, for a laugh, and it was cleanly removed.

Was it running as the time of your uninstall?
    It might not go until you have Restarted.

Does it still have content in a folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\ or C:\Program Files\?

I use CCleaner as described in this article: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/com...om-add-remove/

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

done a quick google - there seem to be some reports of simplitec being reported as a PUP infection with Rouguekiller, but it might be a false positive; a lot of legit programs can show patterns that look suspicious on the surface... especially those that work on the system level

... remember a PUP is a 'potentially unwanted program' that is not the same as an actual dangerous one...

Malwarebytes is very good with removing these. For some reason Chrome installs a lot of .pup and I have stopped using Chrome.

Thanks Acorn, Steve and Gary.

I use CCleaner and Malwarebytes nearly every day, including a monthly CCleaner registry clean.

I think that maybe Steve hit on it with the False/Positive in RogueKiller. Because that's the program that continually displays the PUP files.

Anyway, I am in the process of implementing each of the suggested procedures, appreciatively!

Thanks again, everyone.

Xara's Facebook

as far as I know a .pup file is a sony playstation file

if chrome is 'letting/facilitating' PUP file installion it would not suprise me - that's google's way [I don't care for the chrome browser either]