Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Creating a drop down menu

I've created a drop down menu as described in Xara Outsider March 2009. (http://outsider.xara.com/tutorials/march09/)
    This is working very good for just one drop down menu.
    But when I try to place a second drop down menu on the same page, both drop down menu's will open together when going with the mouse over just one of them.
    I'v tried to change the names in the different layers but this is without result.
    Since I'm not very experienced with the use of layers I wonder if it's possible to place two different menu-buttons on the same place that will react separately.
    If someone has an easy solution?
    Frank

Default Re: Creating a drop down menu

Quote Originally Posted by GK5 View Post
    I've created a drop down menu as described in Xara Outsider March 2009. (http://outsider.xara.com/tutorials/march09/)
    This is working very good for just one drop down menu.
    But when I try to place a second drop down menu on the same page, both drop down menu's will open together when going with the mouse over just one of them.
    I'v tried to change the names in the different layers but this is without result.
    Since I'm not very experienced with the use of layers I wonder if it's possible to place two different menu-buttons on the same place that will react separately.
    If someone has an easy solution?
    Frank
    Frank, the easy solution is to use a NavBar with one topmost button and as many menu items you care to throw at it.
    You can have as many separate NavBars as you choose.

For the Tutorial, all you need to do is create another Layer, say, "MouseOver menu B", for your second pop-up button's menu items.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Each new drop down menu MouseOver layer needs a unique name so as Acorn says MouseOver B, MouseOver C, etc.

You can get very fancy with these. Here's an example I did many years ago that uses multiple layers and multiple mouseover layers http://gwpriester.com/menu-test/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop down menu.png 
Views:	106 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	120162  

Thanks. I will try.
    Frank

I've tried the solution of adding an extra layer by duplicating each part of the base-layer with another name.
    Now I become 2 menu's.
    But when testing only the original menu is working.
    Since I do not known a lot about layers could someone maybe check the attached web-file and explain me what I'm doing wrong.
    A little workout of how to duplicate the original menu in a new layer will also help me I think.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Use this naming hierarchy

MouseOver 2 [mouseover objects for menu 2]
    Menu 2 [mouseoff objects for menu 2]
    Mouseover 1 [mouseover objects for menu 1]
    Menu 1 [mouseoff objects for menu 2]
    MouseOver
    MouseOff [buttons that link to menu 1 and menu 2]

Info Re: Creating a drop down menu

I've tried the solution of adding an extra layer by duplicating each part of the base-layer with another name.
    Now I become 2 menu's.
    But when testing only the original menu is working.
    Since I do not known a lot about layers could someone maybe check the attached web-file and explain me what I'm doing wrong.
    A little workout of how to duplicate the original menu in a new layer will also help me I think.
    Thanks
    Sorry but what you have produced is a tangle of spaghetti that cannot be unravelled.

Try this instead and read the Help information about NavBars and creating your own.

Menus Galore.xar

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I have created two menus using the structure I referenced in my last post. Each menu is on its own layer.

The mouse over layers are actually not necessary if you just use Linked text. I changed the mouse off and mouse over color so the drop down menu has mouse over effects on the text that coordinate with the menu color.

I used Web Animation > Show Pop-up Layer to link to the menus.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	web properties.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	120255   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	menu.png 
Views:	56 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	120256  

Attached Files Attached Files

Finally chosen to work with 'nav-bars' as Acorn suggested. And indeed this is very easy to work with. As base I've used 'Buttons' from the design gallery and deleted button 2 and 3.
    Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.
    Frank

Finally chosen to work with 'nav-bars' as Acorn suggested. And indeed this is very easy to work with. As base I've used 'Buttons' from the design gallery and deleted button 2 and 3.
    Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. Frank
    Frank, keep asking.

Acorn