Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Residue on Print Outs

I don't know if this has been discussed already, but I just discovered that when I printout a drawing from Xara 15 there are ghosts? or residue? from the drawings that appear on the printout. Through trial and error with numerous printouts, I discovered it was these four-pointed stars with a "glow shadow" that were producing the problem. They show up on print out as squares or rectangles that are extremely faint but still noticeable. I certainly don't want this on my prints on expensive quality photo paper, or if I send them out to my print company to do a special size.

BTW, the ghosts or residue does NOT show up in wireframe view; only on printout.

I wonder if the Xara team can fix this anomally...
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Default Re: Residue on Print Outs

Those sound like transparency flattening artifacts, Ron.

I almost never print direct but export to PDF first, inspect (look over at least) the PDF and then if I want to proof it, I'll print from Acrobat or Adobe Reader. Those two applications typically send the data differently and can sometimes avoid the flattening artifacts for some people.

This issue is a common one for many/most consumer-grade print devices. Most commercial devices (and I don't mean glorified copiers and or light-weight digital presses here) will not print this type of artifact.

I'm not able to check right now, but in XDP's (or whatever you are using) print dialog, is there an option to send the print job to the printer as a bitmap? I seem to recall it is on one of the tabs when the Options button is pressed. If so, that should print to your printer correctly without these artifacts.

Default Re: Residue on Print Outs

Thanks for the information, Mike. I appreciate it. There is the option to print as a bitmap, so in future I'll give it a try.

Thanks again.
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer