Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default v15 - what's happened to "position on page"?

v12 - right click an object - flyout menu had "position on page" - what the 5$&T happened to it in v15?
    Did a search under the Help - nothing - not impressed with this "new" version

The "old" picture handles - grab a corner and drag to enlarge with "snap to objects" on and it would snap to say the bottom of a picture alongside.
    With the "new" fancy handles, dragging a pic by the bottom RH corner, it doesn't snap to pic alongside!!
    Xara, why change things that worked perfectly well before and make it more difficult for the user???
    Last edited by letsgofishing; 21 February 2018 at 04:35 AM. Reason: something else too

Default Re: v15 - what's happened to "position on page"?

Right-click and pick Auto-fit to page.
    Check the What's New documentation for the details.

In Premium, I believe you just change back to the Select tool.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Right-click and pick Auto-fit to page.
    Check the What's New documentation for the details.

In Premium, I believe you just change back to the Select tool.

Acorn
    I was talking about in v12 select object/right click/position on page/fixed/footer/automatic/stretch with page/push..
    don't see what this has to do with auoto fit to page in v15....

I am using the select tool - not the photo tool....v15P
    Last edited by letsgofishing; 22 February 2018 at 05:46 AM. Reason: added v12 in first line

"I was talking about in v12 select object/right click/position on page/fixed/footer/automatic/stretch with page/push..
    don't see what this has to do with auoto fit to page in v15....

I am using the select tool - not the photo tool....v15P"

Anyone? Searched for "position on page" under Help - nothing!
    How do I now make a line of text for example, stay as a footer?

Any help with the photo tool?

following on from what acorn said... as I understand it, 'position on page' function is now part of the 'auto-fit' function - you don't need to apply auto-fit to your document, but you do need to go to that function now to do the manual positoning

the documentation is here:

http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/auto-fit/

once you reach page 8 you should start to find what you need I think

in the selecctor tool look on the infobar at far left you should see the 'show selection bounds handles' button - click on this to change from the new to the old handles and you should now be able to snap as before

edit - this is only available in selector tool, it does not change handles in photo tool

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    following on from what acorn said... as I understand it, 'position on page' function is now part of the 'auto-fit' function - you don't need to apply auto-fit to your document, but you do need to go to that function now to do the manual positoning

the documentation is here:

http://releasenotes.xara.hosting/auto-fit/

once you reach page 8 you should start to find what you need I think
    Many thanks Handrawn - what a mission - why have Xara made something that was simple so involved? - they could have kept the "position on page" as a sub-section of the new auto-fit .option....

in the selecctor tool look on the infobar at far left you should see the 'show selection bounds handles' button - click on this to change from the new to the old handles and you should now be able to snap as before

edit - this is only available in selector tool, it does not change handles in photo tool
    Thanks for the info...and that was exactly what I didn't want - I wanted the "old" simple photo handles back

The program evolves... it can be a pain to those whose workflow it interupts

the auto-fit will no doubt be useful to many and is apparently a lot more comprehensive than before.. I am inclined to think the 'slots' for the right-click menu are limited; plus if you keep everything that is legacy sooner or later you end up with a UI so complicated it is a nightmare to navigate...

I remember 10 years or so ago changes in the way fills worked meant I needed to make far more bitmap copies in order to fix the image before applying live effects [otherwise the live effect would be applied to, for example, a clipped image in it's unclipped state ] I got used to this after a while - I now do it in another program

version 15 is not only not attractive to me, it is a warning of what is to come and I don't think I want to go there myself

Don't know of any way of getting the old handles back in the photo tool - I dislike them, too easy to accidently do something unintentionally...

The program evolves... it can be a pain to those whose workflow it interupts

the auto-fit will no doubt be useful to many and is apparently a lot more comprehensive than before.. I am inclined to think the 'slots' for the right-click menu are limited; plus if you keep everything that is legacy sooner or later you end up with a UI so complicated it is a nightmare to navigate...

I remember 10 years or so ago changes in the way fills worked meant I needed to make far more bitmap copies in order to fix the image before applying live effects [otherwise the live effect would be applied to, for example, a clipped image in it's unclipped state ] I got used to this after a while - I now do it in another program

version 15 is not only not attractive to me, it is a warning of what is to come and I don't think I want to go there myself

Don't know of any way of getting the old handles back in the photo tool - I dislike them, too easy to accidently do something unintentionally...
    Thanks for your opinions Handrawn - agreed