Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default "Internet Security Warning!"

It was loud and obnoxious: "Internet Security Warning! Do NOT try to turn off your computer! If you do you will expose your all your computers in your home to a virus!"

That's the voice I was met with from the internet this morning. It tried to use fear based tactics to get me to stay online while they try to install malware of some sort on my new computer. The voice even came with believable graphics. It looked and sounded legit. But I KNEW better. The second it started spouting off "Don't turn off your computer!" Is the moment I did EXACTLY what it said "NOT TO DO". And as soon as I got my computer rebooted and went back onto the internet it came back with the same loud voice so I turned my computer off again and rebooted it again then I ran a full security scan and I even ran my "FixMe Stick" too. It's gone now but I've seen the likes of that technique before, several years ago. I didn't know what to do then but I know better now.

Have you ever been through that kind of thing before? I very much dislike it.

On a brighter note, I did finally get all my software (except that one I mentioned in another post) put back on my computer. YAY me!

Mark

Default Re: "Internet Security Warning!"

I have seen scams like this from time to time. The best strategy is DO NOT try to close any of the windows in the pop up or even the browser.

I use Ctrl Alt Delete to close the browser and then to shut down.

But the last time this happened was several years ago. I am sure these SOBs have gotten a lot more advanced.

cortana uptake is probably not helping...

Mark, if all this took place when you had Windows Defender or another AV package installed and up-to-date, it strikes me that you brought in some malware when re-installing your applications.

Have you run the deepest scan you can with the tools you have?

Concerned,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I guess what acorn says is possible - one of the reasons I asked where you were trying to download the micrsoft program from in the other thread, because I am sure microsoft stopped making it available ages ago - can still get the 'starter edition' from softpedia etc [which I would not recommend] it could have been spiked

but if defender is active it should protect you - make sure it, or third party if you have it, is certainly, and I'd agree do the scan as suggested just in case

Yes, I ran the deepest scan possible that I could I didn't find any malware at all. Strange. I think it may have gotten into my computer BEFORE I installed the AV program that I'm using. I had trouble installing it at first. But within a couple of hours I had it installed. I don't know if windows defender was even working at the time. I don't even know if it's working now, I'll have to check on that. Actually, at the time it happened I was copying the license product key out of my email so I could install Filter Forge on my computer (I'm a professional lifetime member, whatever the heck that means, LOL). No sooner than I had copied the license product key and opened my "trial version" of FF then I was met with that loud voice from the internet.

I just checked and Windows Defender isn't on because PC Matic's SuperShield (AV) is on.
    Mark

defender should have been running when you got your computer unless the guys who sold it to you messed up - it will be disabled by your third party AV as more than one real-time background AV tends to lead to conflicts and issues

I guess I have to ask the question: you did download your 'trial version' of filter forge directly from them?

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    defender should have been running when you got your computer unless the guys who sold it to you messed up - it will be disabled by your third party AV as more than one real-time background AV tends to lead to conflicts and issues

I guess I have to ask the question: you did download your 'trial version' of filter forge directly from them?
    Yes. I don't know where else I can download their trial version. Do you?

oh there are all sorts of places you can download software from.... but often it is spiked, even if the site says it isn't [would you believe ]

from the filter forge site should be fine though... maybe just coincidence...

Try https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down...l-details.aspx

And do a full system scan. It may take several hours. During the scan you may see numbers infections found but at the end most of these are false positives and are gone. But if there are certain kinds of malware it might find and remove them.

Also, Malwarebytes has a free version. Run a full system scan.