Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Xara Web Design 15 Text Link Problem

I have just upgraded from version 11 to 15 and Text Link doesn't seem to work when the page is published. It worked fine in Designer 11. What am I doing wrong? I highlight the text, create the link via Web Properties, apply the change and click OK in the dialog box. After checking the pop-up balloon displays the correct link, I then click save, export to HTML and publish the page but nothing happens when I move the mouse over the text. I am using the up-to-date 64 bit version running under windows 10. Incidentally web links from images work fine. Suggested remedies are welcome!

Default Re: Xara Web Design 15 Text Link Problem

Quote Originally Posted by Funkyanorak View Post
    I have just upgraded from version 11 to 15 and Text Link doesn't seem to work when the page is published. It worked fine in Designer 11. What am I doing wrong? I highlight the text, create the link via Web Properties, apply the change and click OK in the dialog box. After checking the pop-up balloon displays the correct link, I then click save, export to HTML and publish the page but nothing happens when I move the mouse over the text. I am using the up-to-date 64 bit version running under windows 10. Incidentally web links from images work fine. Suggested remedies are welcome!
    Usually, it is an overlap from another object.

Bring the Text to front.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Usually, it is an overlap from another object.

Bring the Text to front.

Acorn
    Eureka! Many thanks and for your prompt reply, I had never used the Arrange Dialog before! All is fine with that. May I ask your advice on another loosely related topic. I get a warning about using a non-standard font, but I can't find it. Is there a way of locating where it is has been used so that I can correct it?

I get a warning about using a non-standard font, but I can't find it. Is there a way of locating where it is has been used so that I can correct it?
    You have not clearly identified your Product. Web designer is not Pro, it is Premium. If you have a Pro product, it is not Web, it is Designer Pro. Blame Xara, we all do.

I will assume it is Xara Web Designer Premium as this is the hard to discover the culprit.

This has to be done page by page:

Ensure all Layers are visible on the Design page.
    Switch to the Text tool.
    Check each page to see which ones display <Multiple> and on selecting the drop down of the Font box, the Used Fonts list shows the offending font.

Needle in a Haystack Approach
    In the Page and Layer gallery, select each Text Line, Column or Area and expand the Font drop-down when you see <Multiple>

Prophylactic Approach
    Select everything.
    Switch to the Text tool.
    Change the Font to the same one throughout.

A variation on the above:

Divide and Conquer
    Approach
    Select the top half of the design.
    Switch to the Text tool.
    If the Font box does not show <Multiple>, the font is in the other half.
    If so, pick the left half of that and try again.
    Essentially, discard the area that does not have the font and half the remainder and repeat.

Forensic Approach
    Preview and then open with one of your available browsers.
    Press F12 to check the resource file xr_text.css.
    One of its line will be a Class, here: (.xr_s2 {font-family:'Bernard MT Condensed';font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-size:13px;text-decoration:none;font-feature-settings:'kern','liga' 0,'clig' 0,'calt' 0;color:#000000;background-color:Transparent;letter-spacing:0em;}, so to go back to the View source page, you can search for .xr_s2 and view the text in that font and the surrounding text.
    Back in the design page, Select all, switch to the Text tool and type Ctrl+F and add the offending word into the search box.

In Xara Designer Pro, one uses the Names gallery and select the font in there to isolate its appearances.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    You have not clearly identified your Product. Web designer is not Pro, it is Premium. If you have a Pro product, it is not Web, it is Designer Pro. Blame Xara, we all do.

I will assume it is Xara Web Designer Premium as this is the hard to discover the culprit.

This has to be done page by page:

Ensure all Layers are visible on the Design page.
    Switch to the Text tool.
    Check each page to see which ones display <Multiple> and on selecting the drop down of the Font box, the Used Fonts list shows the offending font.

Needle in a Haystack Approach
    In the Page and Layer gallery, select each Text Line, Column or Area and expand the Font drop-down when you see <Multiple>

Prophylactic Approach
    Select everything.
    Switch to the Text tool.
    Change the Font to the same one throughout.

A variation on the above:

Divide and Conquer
    Approach
    Select the top half of the design.
    Switch to the Text tool.
    If the Font box does not show <Multiple>, the font is in the other half.
    If so, pick the left half of that and try again.
    Essentially, discard the area that does not have the font and half the remainder and repeat.

Forensic Approach
    Preview and then open with one of your available browsers.
    Press F12 to check the resource file xr_text.css.
    One of its line will be a Class, here: (.xr_s2 {font-family:'Bernard MT Condensed';font-weight:normal;font-style:normal;font-size:13px;text-decoration:none;font-feature-settings:'kern','liga' 0,'clig' 0,'calt' 0;color:#000000;background-color:Transparent;letter-spacing:0em;}, so to go back to the View source page, you can search for .xr_s2 and view the text in that font and the surrounding text.
    Back in the design page, Select all, switch to the Text tool and type Ctrl+F and add the offending word into the search box.

In Xara Designer Pro, one uses the Names gallery and select the font in there to isolate its appearances.

Acorn

You are correct in your assumption, I downloaded Xara Web Designer Premium\15
    I normally use Arial but somewhere erroneously used Arial Narrow.
    Many thanks for your remedies.

Problem fixed using the Forensic and then the Divide and Conquer Approaches. The offending font wasn't readily noticeable because I was using a small point size. Again many thanks!

Problem fixed using the Forensic and then the Divide and Conquer Approaches. The offending font wasn't readily noticeable because I was using a small point size. Again many thanks!
    You are welcome and glad to have helped,
    Acorn

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inspector-acorn.jpg 
Views:	263 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	120147  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Careful Egg, it looks like the man is looking for to make an omelette.
    Acorn

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host