Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: OH NOOOOOO!

Default OH NOOOOOO!

Wouldn't you know it.

I was working on my computer 2 nights ago and I got off the computer late in the evening. The next morning, I turned on my computer and it would not respond to my mouse. Then I noticed it would not respond to ANYTHING plugged into any USB port. What the hell! I tried everything I could to get the computer to work again. And I mean EVERYTHING. Eventually, I was able to get into my computer only by resetting the computer. Unfortunately, such drastic action erases ALL my software that I had installed on my computer. I had well over $1000 in software that vanished like...like...like MAGIC. And can you guess what I had to do? That's right. I had to go buy a new computer since my old one was starting to freak out on me. So, I went got online and searched Micro Center's website for a new computer. I ordered it and went to the store and picked it up (that was yesterday). Now, I have a new computer (a much better one, I might add) and it took all freaking night long to figure out how to get my software that I lost, installed on my new computer. I got XDP re-installed (thank goodness) and I re-installed Illustrator (with the help of an Adobe tech). I got Vector Magic back. Unfortunately, I lost ALL my Lightroom Presets (dang). I'm still waiting on Filter Forge people to help me get my FF back on my computer.

WHAT A NIGHTMARE!

But at least I'm back on TG Forums (which by the way, took me forever to figure out HOW to be able to post). Apparently, I have two accounts. One called Mark321 and the other called Mark123. Only one is registered to post.

But at least I got a new computer and it works like a charm. This sucker is FAST!

*End of rant*

Mark

Default Re: OH NOOOOOO!

I would have ranted too if that had happened to me Mark, so what comp. did you get and what are the specs.

Stygg

Quote Originally Posted by stygg2003 View Post
    I would have ranted too if that had happened to me Mark, so what comp. did you get and what are the specs.

Stygg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	comp specs.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	120133

I don't know much about computers so I took someone with me who did know about computers. This is the computer I bought. Cost (with Office 365 and tax) $915.00.

you might want to look into backup imaging programs like acronis/easus-todo/macrium....just in case it ever happens again

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    you might want to look into backup imaging programs like acronis/easus-todo/macrium....just in case it ever happens again
    good idea, handrawn.

Had to do exactly the same just after New Year Mark, computer wouldn't boot further than the Windows 10 blue Window logo. Took an eternity to load up my essential software. Still finding programs I'd forgotten to reload
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321
    ... well over $1000...
    just one program [TB Harmony Premium 15] I have costs this all by itself, but at least it's a perpetual licence; all things are relative, but when I see moans about how much Adobe charge for subs, I think good job they don't need Maya which is currently 204 GBP a month....

but more to the point maybe, re imaging, it enables you to restore all your stuff in one go

and if you have a cloning option then you can restore onto a new computer - but will need to sort out licences once that is done of course [ and some drivers too more than likely, although win 10 is quite good at doing a lot of that for you]

I stared doing it back in the days of win XP when I had to seriously hack the OS to get it to do what I needed and it would regularly fall over every couple of months... Win 10 is a whole load better in that respect too....

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Had to do exactly the same just after New Year Mark, computer wouldn't boot further than the Windows 10 blue Window logo. Took an eternity to load up my essential software. Still finding programs I'd forgotten to reload
    It's frustrating, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    just one program [TB Harmony Premium 15] I have costs this all by itself, but at least it's a perpetual licence; all things are relative, but when I see moans about how much Adobe charge for subs, I think good job they don't need Maya which is currently 204 GBP a month....

but more to the point maybe, re imaging, it enables you to restore all your stuff in one go

and if you have a cloning option then you can restore onto a new computer - but will need to sort out licences once that is done of course [ and some drivers too more than likely, although win 10 is quite good at doing a lot of that for you]

I stared doing it back in the days of win XP when I had to seriously hack the OS to get it to do what I needed and it would regularly fall over every couple of months... Win 10 is a whole load better in that respect too....
    handrawn, if you can hack a computer, you are awesome! I know precious little about computers, just how to use them for photo editing and graphic design. I still know pretty much nothing about how to design a website, yet. I'm working on that. It's a work in progress, steep learning curve for me. Of course, I did think that of Ai but I jumped in head first and now I can fly with the best of them. (Yay! for me)