Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Xara 3d Maker; Blender or Sketchup?

Hi Xara Graphic Designer can export SVG file which can then be imported to some 3d applications. Idon't believe that Xara 3D designer
    exports in 3d application formats, I use tinkercad for my 3d design...but I am a novice..
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Quote Originally Posted by petricshone View Post
    I'm also thinking to improve and polish my 2D design skill into 3D modeling. I searched on tools for that, Xara 3D Maker is one of cool tool that I found and interested to go with that.
    Hi,

Xara 3D Maker is not a 3D modelling program. It makes extrusions of 2D objects, mainly text, and animates it.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

In my opinion Sketchup is much easier to use than is Blender although Blender has a few pluses not found otherwise such as the ocean simulator.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Here is my Family crest drwn in Xara and exported as SVG files and modeled in Tinkercad
    https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...69&oe=5D76BB96
    This is the original in Xara
    https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2a&oe=5D2FB04F
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Blender3d is extremely powerful and complex compared to either Xara 3d Maker or Sketchup. While Sketchup can be used professionally for certain architectural designs, Blender has been proven to be useful for VFX, ArchViz, Animation and many other aspects of 3d. I think Xara 3d Maker would be a good starter package if you're just looking for some basic 3d effects, especially to do with text animation or logos. The other two go much deeper into the 3d world, which may or may not be what you need. Personally, I use Autodesk 3dsmax as my daily driver, but I also make use of Blender on a regular basis. For example, I tend to use the Eevee render engine in Blender for almost all my animation need now. Reason being, it's a real-time render engine that uses PBR to make things look extremely realistic, which is perfect marriage of speed and quality for animations. Sketchup is a much different animal when it comes to everything from modeling to rendering. It's very specific in the sense of how it handles geometry and how you need to learn to design objects. I prefer to model with polygons, so Sketchup isn't really my cup of tea.

I dabble into 3D but not a great deal. I've used SketchUp and Cinema3D plus Blender.

However I find the latest release of Blender 2.8 far more intuitive than previous release and really enjoying experimenting with it. The inclusion of the Eevee renderer is fantastic.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I looked into the the newest Blender due out next month, and it looks to be awesome. So you may want to look into that.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Hi Xara Graphic Designer can export SVG file which can then be imported to some 3d applications. Idon't believe that Xara 3D designer
    exports in 3d application formats, I use tinkercad for my 3d design...but I am a novice..
    Actually, I know that Xara can export a 2D shape as a DXF file, and I can import DXF into Wings 3D (and I'm certain many other 3D programs too), which you can then extrude using 3D tools. You cannot really do more than extrude it though, as the outer shape is retained but the geometry of the plans are cut bizarrely, but I have gotten it to work. The logo on top and text was created that way in the following image - rendered in Vue Creator.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kaidan-logo.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	125007

Can you tell us how you do this, please?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter
    Actually, I know that Xara can export a 2D shape as a DXF file...
    ~Fred

I talked to my friend about Google Sketch up. and according to him the free version no longer has the nice trees ans stuff. In order to get that evidently you may have to pay out the nose for the really good stuff. If have looked into the newest Blender and it looks to be awesome.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509