Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Xara 3d Maker; Blender or Sketchup?

Hi everyone,

I am slowly getting into 3d modelling. I first wanted to go with Xara 3d maker, as I read that it is really simple to use but I also got a recommendation of blender and sketchup. Does anyone of you have any experience with these and can tell me if they work out well for a newbie like me?

Thanks a lot!

Default Re: Xara 3d Maker; Blender or Sketchup?

Xara 3D Maker is not really a 3D design application. It does create 3D items but Blender and Sketchup are dedicated 3D creation applications where you can actually build 3D objects. That said, in the past some of the members managed to create some very complex 3D objects. Here is a link to a tutorial of one of the better ones http://archive.xaraxone.com/guest/guest97/index.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	24.png 
Views:	449 
Size:	159.6 KB 
ID:	120097  

Hi Mike,

It all depends on what you want to create, there a lot of tools available.
    3d programs usually have a steep learning curve.

Could you be a little more specific on what you would like to do ?

Marc

Gary is correct. It depends upon what you want to do. I've used SketchUp. Two versions, one free the other $500+. The free version is quite adequate as the paid version mostly includes accounting capabilities. The real appeal of SketchUp is the vast YouTube instruction available. Before making a decision, investigate the community help available in forums, including YouTube. Let us know what you decide. Dan

https://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdi...12-3D-Graphics
    Is a link to the Talk Graphics 3D forum.

Thanks everyone, I decided to give the free version of sketchup a try as I saw, as you mentioned danfleix, that they got some really nice video tutorials.

i suggest you ADOBE Photoshop 3D version it is heavy but very cool nice thing

Here is my Family crest drwn in Xara and exported as SVG files and modeled in Tinkercad
    https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...69&oe=5D76BB96
    This is the original in Xara
    https://scontent.fyvr4-1.fna.fbcdn.n...2a&oe=5D2FB04F
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Blender3d is extremely powerful and complex compared to either Xara 3d Maker or Sketchup. While Sketchup can be used professionally for certain architectural designs, Blender has been proven to be useful for VFX, ArchViz, Animation and many other aspects of 3d. I think Xara 3d Maker would be a good starter package if you're just looking for some basic 3d effects, especially to do with text animation or logos. The other two go much deeper into the 3d world, which may or may not be what you need. Personally, I use Autodesk 3dsmax as my daily driver, but I also make use of Blender on a regular basis. For example, I tend to use the Eevee render engine in Blender for almost all my animation need now. Reason being, it's a real-time render engine that uses PBR to make things look extremely realistic, which is perfect marriage of speed and quality for animations. Sketchup is a much different animal when it comes to everything from modeling to rendering. It's very specific in the sense of how it handles geometry and how you need to learn to design objects. I prefer to model with polygons, so Sketchup isn't really my cup of tea.

I dabble into 3D but not a great deal. I've used SketchUp and Cinema3D plus Blender.

However I find the latest release of Blender 2.8 far more intuitive than previous release and really enjoying experimenting with it. The inclusion of the Eevee renderer is fantastic.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host