Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default 4K screens & searchable text

Dear Xara

These are the two issues that have stopped me from buying upgrades to Xara Design Pro.

1. Is there a plan to make Xara work better on 4K screens?
    (i.e. Xara menus need to keep working cleanly when Windows is scaled at say 200%)

2. Is there any way to make the words in Xara pages searchable within Windows?

Thanks

J

PS. I have been a Xara user since Xara Studio days (1994)

Default Re: 4K screens & searchable text

Hi,
    I am currently running all my programs on a Samsung 4K monitor but not using the monitor at Nvidia native resolution with no problems. I do find that if I go native resolution everything is too small (74 years old and poor eyesight.
    Jim
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

I had an exchange about a year ago with one of the Xara developers about support for 4K monitors and the answer was, they were considering it. But I would not buy a 4K monitor until they actually add support.

Quote Originally Posted by shiphen View Post
    2. Is there any way to make the words in Xara pages searchable within Windows?
    shiphen, I feel your pain.
    Perhaps you could save your design also as a PDF that will then be fully searchable in Windows.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

To get clear, there is a workaround of sorts for Xara failing to cope with Windows Scaling being set high appears to be is to edit the shortcut to Xara.

It's pretty messy but:

A) If you right-click on your shortcut ==> properties ==> Compatibility ==> tick "Override high DPI scaling behaviour", then everying is absolutely pin-sharp and in theory everything still works, but you have to guess what's going on in most of your menus!

B) If you you un-tick the above, then everything including the graphics that you are working on are horribly blurred, but at least you can read all your menus and everything is sized nicely.

I find myself jumping between the two modes. Not a nice way to work. :^(

J

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    shiphen, I feel your pain.
    Perhaps you could save your design also as a PDF that will then be fully searchable in Windows.

Acorn
    A rather desperate workaround to have to do that every time you save... but yes, better than nothing I suppose.

But after all this time - 24 YEARS - what has been going on?
    A) Are Microsoft engaged in some sort of conspiracy/anti-competitive practice against Xara/small companies?
    Or
    B) Has Xara been in some way incompetent/negligent?

Xara updates for their loyal customers - many of which have given them bucket-loads of constructive feedback and helped other users - are NOT cheap.

J