Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Relationship: It's complicated.... Embedding inside a frame + other issues.

I am trying to create a website for my son's college club sport.. the college is into some sort of "Affirmative Action" so that one web page is not better than another.. so we have to go through their "templates" and "CleanSlate" - which totally stinks. and I am against it. I made my own website in Xara Designer Pro..
    Through playing inside the CleanSlate software, I can change most of the elements, but I must keep the "<header> and <footer> of the web page template, so they don't complain, and the only way I can do that, without being a real html jockey (so I don't knock out their editing program by accident - *already happened), is to use one of the "containers" they supply for Media, that give option to include html code.
    The "files upload" in CleanSlate will NOT read an "html" file, ....but will read all other files contained in the exported html folder from Xara (png, css, , txt, js, jpg, etc.) that I upload.
    Here is my problem:
    If I copy/paste the entire webpage's code into the frame/container, besides losing my awesome Layers, I lose the <footer> behind a large jpg at the top of my Xara web page - it is no longer at the bottom.. I have no idea what I need to remove from my code to keep it in... I would like to be able to keep my web animations, if at all possible.
    Any ideas? I will try anything! iframes, inside an iframe.. placeholders... whatever I can to make this happen (need to "sock-it-to-the-man")
    Also, if you need better explanation just look at this sadness https://womensrugbyclub.orgs.wvu.edu/home
    .. that is an example of the boring crap we are talking about here.

Thanks,
    Alice
    Last edited by CzarinaOz; 12 February 2018 at 08:16 AM.

Default Re: Relationship: It's complicated.... Embedding inside a frame + other issues.

Quote Originally Posted by CzarinaOz View Post
    I am trying to create a website for my son's college club sport.. the college is into some sort of "Affirmative Action" so that one web page is not better than another.. so we have to go through their "templates" and "CleanSlate" - which totally stinks. and I am against it. I made my own website in Xara Designer Pro..
    Through playing inside the CleanSlate software, I can change most of the elements, but I must keep the "<header> and <footer> of the web page template, so they don't complain, and the only way I can do that, without being a real html jockey (so I don't knock out their editing program by accident - *already happened), is to use one of the "containers" they supply for Media, that give option to include html code.
    The "files upload" in CleanSlate will NOT read an "html" file, ....but will read all other files contained in the exported html folder from Xara (png, css, , txt, js, jpg, etc.) that I upload.
    Here is my problem:
    If I copy/paste the entire webpage's code into the frame/container, besides losing my awesome Layers, I lose the <footer> behind a large jpg at the top of my Xara web page - it is no longer at the bottom.. I have no idea what I need to remove from my code to keep it in... I would like to be able to keep my web animations, if at all possible.
    Any ideas? I will try anything! iframes, inside an iframe.. placeholders... whatever I can to make this happen (need to "sock-it-to-the-man")
    Also, if you need better explanation just look at this sadness https://womensrugbyclub.orgs.wvu.edu/home
    .. that is an example of the boring crap we are talking about here.

Thanks,
    Alice
    Alice, the best I can imagine that will not be a headache and fit your constraints is <header><Xara iframe><footer>.
    Are you allows to publish your entire Xara website to a sub-folder at the college?
    If so, the IFRAME would be of this form:

<iframe src="http://<collegeUrl>/<subfolder>/index.htm(l)" width="1280px" height="1024px" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" name="xara_iframe" ><p>Your browser does not support iframes.</p></iframe>

Clearly, you will have to provide the correct src path and the WxH values.
    If you can host your page elsewhere the same code applies.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Relationship: It's complicated.... Embedding inside a frame + other issues.

I think the problem with the iframe is their site is responsive but the xara generated page won't be?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    I think the problem with the iframe is their site is responsive but the xara generated page won't be?
    Egg, then it will require a number of Variants.
    No too onerous if it is a one page display.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

But surely this would only load the variant size matching the original view-port on first opening the site. Resizing the browser window won't reload the new variant?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I found at "overstack" where I can change the css to stick the footer to the bottom of the page, but this doesn't help my page layers problem.. I am going to try adding placeholders for the <header> and <footer> through Xara.. then after uploading the files that are "legit" (everything, so far, except the "html") I will see if I can remove them and copy/paste the source code of my htm.. and see what happens. Thanks for the ideas, so far..

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    If the IFRAME is set as a percentage width then I would have guessed it would react accordingly. Not tried it though,
    Acorn

Don't think I can test it either.
    Egg