Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default mobile site issue

Dear community,

I am in the process of creating a site for a podcast about childrens books and I am having a small problem with the mobile variant.
    Basically everything looks fine but when instead of having the menu appear the phone zooms in on the hamburger menu bar.
    This is not an ideal experience for the user, but I don't know how to fix it. Any ideas.

Here is the site. Please view it on mobile to help me so you could see the problem. http://childrensbookradio.com

Thanks Again :-)

Default Re: mobile site issue

Hi Teachtoia,

It's a very annoying Android issue. Clicking on a menu item zooms in on that menu item rather than open the menu link. You then need to click again to open the link. It doesn't seem to matter what size you create the Link/Button it insists on zooming in first! I've no idea why Androids do this nor of any work-around to stop it happening.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Welcome to TalkGraphics Teachtopia

Egg - I wonder if making custom buttons , the full width (480px is Xara's default size for mobile variant) on a pop up layer would solve this problem?

I have done this on my website but I have not tested it on an Android phone www.gwpriester.com so I don't know if this helps or not.

On my andriod samsung js1 did that to my site, no longer does, I also checked yours and it does not do it.
    Not sure why mine stopped doing that, which is good.

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    On my andriod samsung js1 did that to my site, no longer does, I also checked yours and it does not do it.
    Not sure why mine stopped doing that, which is good.
    So you think that Android version has something to do with it? I hope it means that it is an issue that was resolved rather than one that was created with an update. My problem is occurring on a Samsung J7 with Android Version 7.1.1 and Samsung Experiences Version 8.5

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Welcome to TalkGraphics Teachtopia

Egg - I wonder if making custom buttons , the full width (480px is Xara's default size for mobile variant) on a pop up layer would solve this problem?

I have done this on my website but I have not tested it on an Android phone www.gwpriester.com so I don't know if this helps or not.
    Hi,
    Are you saying to have a large button with an hamburger/accordion on it. Or using large buttons and giving up on the hamburger design for the mobile variant?
    Thanks

Hi Gary,

I have an old Android phone HTC Desire 310, Android Version 4.2.2, which I only use to test sites to see how they look on an android device (no sim card just wifi).

I've no idea whether this annoying zoom feature is OS dependent or Chrome dependent. I can't update Chrome as I've cleaned this phone and it refuses to log into the Android App Store.

In the past I've done as you suggest and created BIG 480pix wide buttons with some success but even these occasionally trigger the zoomed-in button!

I tested your site and it didn't display the annoying zoom feature and worked well.

However Teachtoia's site still displayed this feature.

As I stated earlier this may be due to the old OS or old Google browser.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Are you saying to have a large button with an hamburger/accordion on it. Or using large buttons and giving up on the hamburger design for the mobile variant?
    What I did on my site was create a new layer (Page & Layer Gallery) on which I placed rectangles grouped with text for buttons that link to the pages. The hamburger which is on the MouseOff layer links to the hidden menu layer.

I'll try to post an example.

Download the .web file and open in Xara. Preview the site and you can see how this looks.

I created the Menu layer on the home page, then I copied the layer and pasted the layer into each page.

Each burger icon on each page links to the Menu layer on that page.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Mine is Andriod version 6.0.1
    Also another thing that iphone does not do is when I turn it sideways the website I designed should fit perfectly in the screen, this does not happen with andriod (The one I have). Sucks I know. You can see it attached video.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by behzad; 12 February 2018 at 12:03 AM.