Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Keyword fields

Default Keyword fields

It is not clear to me from the manual if one must choose between filling in either the page keyword field or the website keyword field, or if both work simultaneously. I'm assuming the latter but am unsure I did the right thing.

My problem is that I posted a completely revised website to my domain using Xara -- the previous one, since deleted from my web host, had been designed using Back to the Beach software -- but now web searches do not come up with a single one of my pages except for the home page. The keywords are the same as I have been using quite successfully for 20 years. My website is an annotated catalog of musical compositions, and consists of 64 pages.

Default Re: Keyword fields

Quote Originally Posted by Bapp View Post
    It is not clear to me from the manual if one must choose between filling in either the page keyword field or the website keyword field, or if both work simultaneously. I'm assuming the latter but am unsure I did the right thing.

My problem is that I posted a completely revised website to my domain using Xara -- the previous one, since deleted from my web host, had been designed using Back to the Beach software -- but now web searches do not come up with a single one of my pages except for the home page. The keywords are the same as I have been using quite successfully for 20 years. My website is an annotated catalog of musical compositions, and consists of 64 pages.
    Have you published as a Supersite?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Postscript: Welcome to TalkGraphics.

Acorn
    Last edited by Acorn; 09 February 2018 at 06:01 PM.
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I don't know what that is? Is that something that should be an option with my host (Earthlink).

I don't know what that is? Is that something that should be an option with my host (Earthlink).
    In your declared product , your default Template should open to a Conventional Site design.
    You may have changed that to a Supersite.

To check, open Utilities > Web Export Options.
    If you pick Conventional Website, click OK and then republish, all you rages will appear in their own HTML file.

It is also possible you have not named any pages at all.
    You need to add a lowercase filename in Page filename and a display title in Page title.

Filename becomes the HTML filename (c.f., index.htm, contactus.htm).
    Title is what appears in the browser topbar (c.f., Home, Contact Us).

A website needs the first.
    Google prefers searches with the second.

Acorn

I have both WebDesigner 12 and 15 and neither of them have Web Export Options in the Utilities drop-down that I can see.

I have named all the pages and given them titles that do appear in the browser topbar.

The problem now is that even if I type in the actual name of the page in the browser up to but not including ".htm" the search engine does not find the page. When I add the ".htm", of course, it finds it, but that doesn't help people who don't already know the address.

Bapp

I have both WebDesigner 12 and 15 and neither of them have Web Export Options in the Utilities drop-down that I can see.
    I have named all the pages and given them titles that do appear in the browser topbar.
    The problem now is that even if I type in the actual name of the page in the browser up to but not including ".htm" the search engine does not find the page. When I add the ".htm", of course, it finds it, but that doesn't help people who don't already know the address.
    Bapp
    If the topbar shows the name, it is a conventional site.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supersite.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	120042

Google's web bots actually takes time to web crawl a new site.
    You can speed up things using Google Webmaster Tools.
    Also, think of the 20 years of back-links from other worthys' sites. If you've not advised them then Google's not going to be much interested for quite a time.

Google also needs incisive Keyword embedded in each page to help its search engine.

Acorn

I did not know that Google could be advised about such things.

I have looked at the Google SEO tools, but since this is not really a commercial site, I worry about the expense of having to pay for every click.

What do you mean by "incisive keyword". The keywords I have entered in the fields include the composer's name, the title, genre, instrumentation, related subject matter, and so forth. Again, this worked with the old website.

Bapp

I did not know that Google could be advised about such things.
    I have looked at the Google SEO tools, but since this is not really a commercial site, I worry about the expense of having to pay for every click.
    What do you mean by "incisive keyword". The keywords I have entered in the fields include the composer's name, the title, genre, instrumentation, related subject matter, and so forth. Again, this worked with the old website.
    Bapp
    Bapp, Webmaster Tools is free: https://blog.kissmetrics.com/beginne...bmaster-tools/ is a guide for http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools.

If you have used Keywords already then fine.

Never pay for SEO - ever - snake oil!

Acorn