Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default How can I reduce storage space? How can I identify large files?

I am in a mess, no doubt my own fault, and I have no idea how to fix things. I am limiting this post to just one of my problems.

I created my website with Xara Web Designer 365. For a few months I used free Xara hosting but then purchased a domain from Xara. I therefore have two domains - www.wonershhistory.co.uk and the free one, which I don't update or use, www.wonershhistorysociety.xara.hosting.

I recently tried to publish changes to my site and received the error message 'insufficient storage' (500Mb max). I upgraded to Premium which has 2Gb storage so in addition to two domains I now have two software packages - Standard and Premium. I only mention this in case it has anything to do with the storage problem.

When I again tried to publish my updates it succeeded, albeit very slowly, but I appear to have now used almost 1.5Gb in the process. The new update largely consisted of one page which has links to history society bulletin pdfs.

Firstly, other than not have links to the pdfs at all, is there a way to limit the amount of space they take up?

Secondly, when I go to the control panel I can't see where all the space is being used. I know things add up but nothing looks huge. I have raised a ticket but don't hold out much hope as, other than an acknowledgment, Xara did not respond to my last ticket.

I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Forgot to say ... the page with pdf links is password protected because it is for members only so won't be visible to any forum member who looks to see what I am talking about.
    Last edited by JFry; 08 February 2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to say ....

Default Re: How can I reduce storage space? How can I identify large files?

Hi,

I rarely use Magix hosting so I'm no expert here.

Two points. Does the domain you purchased from Magix just point to your current free space? In other words is the domain purchase just for the domain name but without additional hosting. If so you seem to be duplicating your site on the Magix server, the one that the domain points to and the other that only the non domain url points to.

Secondly, if your running out of space on the Magix server, host the pdf's on Google drive or Dropbox or similar, you can also do the same with images if you require.. Google Drive offers you 15GB free storage, compared to your miserable 2Gb from Magix, which remains 'forever' whereas your site on Magix is only free for each year you upgrade Xara.

Try the attached example, the pdf is hosted on my Google Drive.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

If your problem really is the .pdf file sizes, publish them in a lower res (some will specifically be listed as for the web). Depending on which program you use to create the .pdf files the sizes can vary greatly, as in 20mb down to 2.5mb for the same publication. It adds up in a hurry.

I'm less of an expert than egg as I don't use magix hosting at all - but the hosting we do use does auto-backup, and that can add up quickly too and needs purging every now and then

Firstly, hosting the pdfs on Dropbox or Google Drive is a brilliant, and very simple, idea. I tried to look at your example but the pdf had no link.

If I use Dropbox, how do I find the link to use? I tried opening a pdf saved in Dropbox and then copied the url. When I then used that as the link and previewed it, it went straight to Dropbox sign in. I expect I am using the wrong link.

I'm sorry but I don't really understand your question about the domains and where they point to. All I can say is that when I first created and published a website it was the free sort that ended .Xara.hosting. A while later I bought a domain name and now publish to that (with Xara still hosting). When I upgraded to Premium (which appears to be Magix), I installed the upgrade, opened it and then opened my website. Then I published changes and now have a site of 1.44Gb.

As you say, it does rather seem as though everything has doubled up.

Can you suggest anything please? Have Xara/Magix stopped responding to tickets do you know?

Jenny

"If your problem really is the .pdf file sizes, publish them in a lower res (some will specifically be listed as for the web). Depending on which program you use to create the .pdf files the sizes can vary greatly, as in 20mb down to 2.5mb for the same publication. It adds up in a hurry."

I have found something online that compresses pdfs. Is that the sort of thing you mean? The only problem is I can only compress two docs and hour.

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    I'm less of an expert than egg as I don't use magix hosting at all - but the hosting we do use does auto-backup, and that can add up quickly too and needs purging every now and then
    Good idea, I can feel a purge coming on.

Can you access this link?

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

The above link is for Dropbox. It's not ideal as it only gives you access to a folder containing pdf's (one in this case)

The Google drive is better as it opens the pdf directly in the browser.

Click on the link below & Click on the Cruise Schedule 2015 pdf link.

LINK
    Egg

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    The above link is for Dropbox. It's not ideal as it only gives you access to a folder containing pdf's (one in this case)

The Google drive is better as it opens the pdf directly in the browser.

Click on the link below & Click on the Cruise Schedule 2015 pdf link.

LINK
    The Drive version is much better so that's what I'll use - thank you.

Are you able to help with the storage issue?