Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How can I reduce storage space? How can I identify large files?

Hi,

Starting with Dropbox, if you are in Dropbox online, then click on the Share button beside the file. This opens a window and at the right is a hotlink "Copy URL." Click on this and the URL will be copied to the clipboard. That is what you use as the link. If you have installed the Dropbox app to your computer, there will be a Dropbox icon in the tray at the bottom right of the screen. Clicking on this opens a window with recent files. When you mouse over a file, you will see "Copy link." Selecting it copies the link to the clipboard.

As for whether or not you have Magix or Xara hosting with Premium, you have Xara because you have yourname.xara.hosting, not yourname.magix.net. It's just that Magix processes payments now. When you go to Xara-online.com, log in to the Control Center and click on "OPEN WEB SPACE," you see the screen below. On that, you see how much space used. You can check all of your files uploaded. Once you have your new version ready to be uploaded with links to pdf file and you have made sure that they are not in the subfolder corresponding to the website design file, then delete everything from the online screen and upload everything from Xara. This will give you a clean upload. Remember, anything that was uploaded before, like a photo, remains in the webspace unless you delete from the webspace, even if you have removed it from your website design. Also, anything in the corresponding subfolder on your computer will get uploaded, I believe, so you have to clean up both places.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara online ftp tool2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	120040

In my design, everything except Nathalie is myname.xara.hosting. The Nathalie stuff is for the one domain name that I purchased with M Hosting. I original had several videos embedded in this site and they took up most of my available space. I switched to linking to these from the Magix Album and deleted the mp4 files from the site. When I uploaded the changes, the mp4 files were uploaded again. It took a while before I realized that it was because the mp4 files were still in the subfolder associated with my web design file. Everything in that folder gets uploaded.

The second window shows a similar screen but for my magix hosting. I purchased this with Xara DPX9 which was how it used to be. Then Magix/Xara changed to Xara hosting, and they told me that the upgrade coupon for XDPX10, I believe, was only good for the new Xara hosting, not Magix hosting. So I ended up with both. With Magix hosting, I have another domain plus use of the magix.net which is similar to xara.hosting, plus the Magix online album (100GB of space). For some reason that Magix could never explain, I only have 500 MB instead of the 2 GB that I was supposed to get for the web page storage, not that I need it.

Name:	Magix online ftp tool2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	120041

If you go to Magix.com, click on Web, you'll see "PUBLISH ONLINE" and then "Online Album." This will give you the screen to purchase the Magix.net package instead of Xara. The main focus is on the Magix album. To be complete, other than the album, the domain comes with 5 email addresses. The Xara version has none, at least I don't have any with the domain that I purchased for the Nathalie site.
    HTH
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Hi,

Starting with Dropbox, if you are in Dropbox online, then click on the Share button beside the file. This opens a window and at the right is a hotlink "Copy URL." Click on this and the URL will be copied to the clipboard. That is what you use as the link. If you have installed the Dropbox app to your computer, there will be a Dropbox icon in the tray at the bottom right of the screen. Clicking on this opens a window with recent files. When you mouse over a file, you will see "Copy link." Selecting it copies the link to the clipboard.

As for whether or not you have Magix or Xara hosting with Premium, you have Xara because you have yourname.xara.hosting, not yourname.magix.net. It's just that Magix processes payments now. When you go to Xara-online.com, log in to the Control Center and click on "OPEN WEB SPACE," you see the screen below. On that, you see how much space used. You can check all of your files uploaded. Once you have your new version ready to be uploaded with links to pdf file and you have made sure that they are not in the subfolder corresponding to the website design file, then delete everything from the online screen and upload everything from Xara. This will give you a clean upload. Remember, anything that was uploaded before, like a photo, remains in the webspace unless you delete from the webspace, even if you have removed it from your website design. Also, anything in the corresponding subfolder on your computer will get uploaded, I believe, so you have to clean up both places.

Name:	Xara online ftp tool2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	120040

In my design, everything except Nathalie is myname.xara.hosting. The Nathalie stuff is for the one domain name that I purchased with M Hosting. I original had several videos embedded in this site and they took up most of my available space. I switched to linking to these from the Magix Album and deleted the mp4 files from the site. When I uploaded the changes, the mp4 files were uploaded again. It took a while before I realized that it was because the mp4 files were still in the subfolder associated with my web design file. Everything in that folder gets uploaded.

The second window shows a similar screen but for my magix hosting. I purchased this with Xara DPX9 which was how it used to be. Then Magix/Xara changed to Xara hosting, and they told me that the upgrade coupon for XDPX10, I believe, was only good for the new Xara hosting, not Magix hosting. So I ended up with both. With Magix hosting, I have another domain plus use of the magix.net which is similar to xara.hosting, plus the Magix online album (100GB of space). For some reason that Magix could never explain, I only have 500 MB instead of the 2 GB that I was supposed to get for the web page storage, not that I need it.

Name:	Magix online ftp tool2.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	51.0 KB 
ID:	120041

If you go to Magix.com, click on Web, you'll see "PUBLISH ONLINE" and then "Online Album." This will give you the screen to purchase the Magix.net package instead of Xara. The main focus is on the Magix album. To be complete, other than the album, the domain comes with 5 email addresses. The Xara version has none, at least I don't have any with the domain that I purchased for the Nathalie site.
    HTH
    I'm struggling to keep up here! Can you explain what you mean when you say "... and you have made sure that they are not in the subfolder corresponding to the website design file."

Quote Originally Posted by JFry View Post
    I'm struggling to keep up here! Can you explain what you mean when you say "... and you have made sure that they are not in the subfolder corresponding to the website design file."
    Wherever you save the .xar or .web project to on your hard disk, look for a sub-folder with the same or similar name. For example, I created a web project called "Asselin Main.xar" and at the location where I saved it, a sub-folder called "Asselin Main_xar_files" was created automatically. I dragged a pdf file from somewhere on my hard disk onto my web page in Xara, selected to link the file, and a pdf icon was placed on the page. I looked in the sub-folder "Asselin Main_xar_files" and the pdf file had been copied there - by Xara, not by me. When I upload my project to the web, the pdf file and anything else that is in that folder will also be uploaded to my web space.

If I now go and change the link to the pdf file to a file on DropBox or Google Drive, and upload my project, only things that have changed will be uploaded. Guess what. The pdf file will still be in my web space. If I delete it from there, that is, from the ftp site that I showed you previously, there is no problem. However, the next time I upload a change to my site, the pdf file that is still sitting in that sub-folder "Asselin Main_xar_files" will be uploaded again, even if I don't need it. So I have to remember to delete it from this subfolder if I don't need it anymore.

As I indicated, I had a bunch of video files in the corresponding sub-folder. I deleted them from the ftp site as I now had links to the videos in the Magix album (or on YouTube). I forgot to delete the files from the sub-folder on my hard disk. The next time that I updated my project and uploaded, those now useless mp4 files were uploaded again, eating up my allotted web space.

If you still have problems understanding, I can make a short video.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Okay, bit of a problem. I deleted everything from the control panel and then republished but the layout of the site has gone - all I have is some text (www.wonershhistory.co.uk). When I preview the site its's fine. I am only showing as having used 2MB so I've done something wrong obviously. Any ideas.

How are you publishing your site Jenny?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

With the file open in Premium I am using the icon at the top that says 'Publish document as a website using FTP'. That's how I have done it before.

In that case it should upload correctly, especially as you state it previews correctly in Xara.

Do you have an ftp program like filezilla?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

In my browser I have FireFTP. I don't know much about it but I used it to upload a flipbook some time ago.

Hold on I'll have a search & see if I can find how to use ftp to view Magix server.
    Egg

I've just clicked on FireFTP and it has taken me straight into the server.