Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: How can I reduce storage space? How can I identify large files?

Gary has posted a how to in this thread. You can open the file structure in your ftp program and view it's contents.

Meanwhile if you'd like to send a link with your web file via DropBox I'll have a look at it.

One other thing first, check you haven't got the upload only changed files checked / ticked.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I think you're right. I have the upload changes ticked. Can you remind me where I go to change that please?

Check this first.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	publish-settings-2.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	120047  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I can't begin to tell you how grateful I am for your help. You can imagine how I felt when I saw the site had gone pear-shaped. All is now well with the world again!

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Wherever you save the .xar or .web project to on your hard disk, look for a sub-folder with the same or similar name. For example, I created a web project called "Asselin Main.xar" and at the location where I saved it, a sub-folder called "Asselin Main_xar_files" was created automatically. I dragged a pdf file from somewhere on my hard disk onto my web page in Xara, selected to link the file, and a pdf icon was placed on the page. I looked in the sub-folder "Asselin Main_xar_files" and the pdf file had been copied there - by Xara, not by me. When I upload my project to the web, the pdf file and anything else that is in that folder will also be uploaded to my web space.

If I now go and change the link to the pdf file to a file on DropBox or Google Drive, and upload my project, only things that have changed will be uploaded. Guess what. The pdf file will still be in my web space. If I delete it from there, that is, from the ftp site that I showed you previously, there is no problem. However, the next time I upload a change to my site, the pdf file that is still sitting in that sub-folder "Asselin Main_xar_files" will be uploaded again, even if I don't need it. So I have to remember to delete it from this subfolder if I don't need it anymore.

As I indicated, I had a bunch of video files in the corresponding sub-folder. I deleted them from the ftp site as I now had links to the videos in the Magix album (or on YouTube). I forgot to delete the files from the sub-folder on my hard disk. The next time that I updated my project and uploaded, those now useless mp4 files were uploaded again, eating up my allotted web space.

If you still have problems understanding, I can make a short video.
    You may have seen that I had problems after deleting my files and republishing. I just wanted to make sure you know that it was because I have my settings on publish changes only. Once Egg Bramhill asked the question, I unticked the box and published again and everything is okay now.

Thank you very much for such detailed help along the way. I really appreciate it.

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

Lovely site. And thank you for a word that I don't ever remember seeing, "miscellanea." Maybe it is used more often on your side of the pond.

Has all of this resolved your initial problem of space usage?
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Hi Jenny,

Lovely site. And thank you for a word that I don't ever remember seeing, "miscellanea." Maybe it is used more often on your side of the pond.

Has all of this resolved your initial problem of space usage?
    It certainly has, instead of 1.44Gb I have now used 24Mb so there was no need to upgrade to Premium after all. As for 'miscellanea', you have to appreciate that I am not only English but also no spring chicken! The word is probably not used an awful lot today.

Really pleased to hear you've got your site up & running again Jenny. It suddenly dawned on me that you had used the control panel to remove files but Xara wasn't to 'know' this
    Egg

Hi Jenny,

Glad to see that it worked.

On the Judge & the Highwayman page, there is a minor error, "1935" should be "1735." A very interesting read. I had heard about Dick Turpin, but never bothered to read up on him.

Many of us here are seniors. Xara should offer us a senior's discount.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

70 here
    Egg