Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I screwed up!

Default I screwed up!

You're not gonna believe this but I lost track of time. I know I have Xara Designer Pro X but I let my software lag behind. I need to update it but don't know what update I should get. Did I miss a new XDP version? Am I getting THAT old?

Ouch!

Default Re: I screwed up!

OMG!

I just found out that Xara has an online version now. I went to it and, unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't appear to have nearly as many features as the old XDPx that I have. This is strange. It may take me some time to get used to this.

Info Re: I screwed up!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    You're not gonna believe this but I lost track of time. I know I have Xara Designer Pro X but I let my software lag behind. I need to update it but don't know what update I should get. Did I miss a new XDP version? Am I getting THAT old?
    Ouch!
    Tempus fugit - time flies; indigo fugit - bluebottles.

Open your XPX365 and press Help > About Xara Designer Pro X. That will tell you what version and its date that you have.

Open http://www.xara.com/us/designer-pro/download/. Check the date of the latest version and click the Download button.
    This assumes your Support cover is still in place. If not, you might still have use of a Previous Version further down the page.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn.

I still will never get over the great zoom capabilities of the mouse wheel, something that Ai still irritates me with. I can zoom with Xara but I still have to do it the old way with Ai.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark321 View Post
    OMG!
    I just found out that Xara has an online version now. I went to it and, unless I'm mistaken, it doesn't appear to have nearly as many features as the old XDPx that I have. This is strange. It may take me some time to get used to this.
    The On-line designer is Xara's attempt to allow non-licence holders access to limited editing of a design with only a browser (and a lot of patience). As most of the reduced functionality in the lesser products sold all mainly handle any design from a higher product, Xara could have marketed a simpler application at trivial cost as an entry to the bigger products. Agreed it would only run on Windows but there is a !smallish! market out there for that.
    The Online Designer necessarily detracts from other application enhancements.

I wouldn't write a book with it. I wouldn't build a website with it. I wouldn't manipulate images with it.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Xara marketing kinda points online designer towards making [business] presentations

I can see it having merit there [like powerpoint]

No value whatsoever for for my sort of design, in the same way as ready-meals are not cooking, and music-samples are not what makes actual music

only in beta of course, but boy do I agree with the need for 'lot of patience' ... although if you can't do it any other way.....

Mark,

You may have to go to Magic website to get the newest update to XARA X (V15) because they took over distribution. I do not know if Xara site has the newest version yet.
    http://www.magix.com/us/support/update-service/

I just went to Xara site and it looks like they have the newest on site. You can use the update in the program you have to download the update from the site.

Ray

you can't update from ver 12 to ver 15 from within the program, need a seperate install

[QUOTE=RKissane;588342You can use the update in the program you have to download the update from the site.
    Ray[/QUOTE]Ray, checking on V12 within the application will always report you are up to date if you have updated to Xara Designer Pro X 12.8.1.50861 DL x64 Jul 24 2017.

It will tell you noyhing about V15.

Xara users have to have a crystal ball, which Magix Marketing has not posted yet.

In Xara/Magix's wisdom, they decided to jump to version 15 but for those who do not follow newsletters, this Forum or spurious emails (e.g., from Magix. Who are they.? I never bought anything from Magix...) then a cohort of customers may still be in the dark.
    Xara eventaully spotted then as re-added the Download into their site; the Magix site is stlil very, very confusing.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Xara users have to have a crystal ball, which Magix Marketing has not posted yet.
    could surely be useful

seeing as I was one of those who banged the drum about having trial versions reintroduced, I am pleased they are there, but confusing isn't the half of it