Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default XPGD 15 - blurring on entire image when feathering

Another issue here I see some images go blurry when I use the feathering tool. I can't show you exactly how it works because I am using customer images but it seems like it happens mostly on png images. Could this be fixed? It does not happen on earlier xara 7 that I was using. Thanks!
    Ron Cavagnaro

Default Re: XPGD 15 - blurring on entire image when feathering

Feathering with PNGs only works around the rectangular edges. If you have a PNG with transparent background, then use the Photo Tool > FX > Bitmap Feather. The default is 10px which is WAY too much. Usually 1-2 is more than enough.

Feathering with PNGs only works around the rectangular edges.
    Are you sure of that Gary? It's true for jpg's & True Colour png's but on a True Colour with Alpha png it feathers all around the edges of the image content, not just the images rectangular edges. Photo Tool > FX > Bitmap Feather has the same effect on png's with alpha.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rpc.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	19.7 KB 
ID:	120017  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Info Re: XPGD 15 - blurring on entire image when feathering

Quote Originally Posted by rpc9943 View Post
    Another issue here I see some images go blurry when I use the feathering tool. I can't show you exactly how it works because I am using customer images but it seems like it happens mostly on png images. Could this be fixed? It does not happen on earlier xara 7 that I was using. Thanks!
    Ron, I downloaded a doily from the On-line Catalogue (Stock Illustrations: complex), resized on an A4 page and then created a Bitmap copy as 300 dpi PNG.

I cloned this and feathered. I vertically flipped and then butted the two images together.

I can see no blurring other than that of the desired feathering.

I can upload the file but it is easy enough to recreate.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Can't replicate that Acorn. Are you just feathering the clone?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg- the post you made is accurate and not my problem. I like how it does that actually.

It happens but I am not sure how to replicate it - I wish I could just show you guys exactly what happens but again its customer files which I can't really replicate - even a minimal feathering it blurs the entire photo. It doesn't occur on everything I've tried.
    Ron Cavagnaro

What happens if you select your customers png and Arrange / Create Bitmap Image / Full Colour with Alpha and try to feather this?
    Egg

I have not tried this but I will when I run by the issue again. I'd have to look back to see what files had this issue. Thanks!
    Ron Cavagnaro

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Can't replicate that Acorn. Are you just feathering the clone?
    Yes

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Cheers but I can't see any advantage in this.
    Egg