Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Remember undo history on exit

Not sure if this has been discussed, but when I close a document, after editing, it would be nice if the history of changes be maintained with that document. So, when I restart XDP those history changes are remembered. Does that make sense? I would venture to suggest that a user-defined number of undo points be saved, such as 0 (zero) being all and -1 being none... just a thought.

Default Re: Remember undo history on exit

Quote Originally Posted by Panchdara View Post
    Not sure if this has been discussed, but when I close a document, after editing, it would be nice if the history of changes be maintained with that document. So, when I restart XDP those history changes are remembered. Does that make sense? I would venture to suggest that a user-defined number of undo points be saved, such as 0 (zero) being all and -1 being none... just a thought.
    +1
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I like that idea.

Well yes and no. If this were an option at shut down, perhaps, e.g. [ x ] Save last 20 undos. But one of the things that happens when you shut down is the program memory is cleared out so next time you start clean.

You can kind of do this using File > Open Recent > Backups. Each backup represents about 10 minutes work.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Well yes and no. If this were an option at shut down, perhaps, e.g. [ x ] Save last 20 undos. But one of the things that happens when you shut down is the program memory is cleared out so next time you start clean.
    You can kind of do this using File > Open Recent > Backups. Each backup represents about 10 minutes work.
    Xara quotes in http://www.xara.com/uk/designer-pro/features/:
    Infinite Undo / Redo
    Being able to change what you have done is vital in a graphics package. Xara Designer Pro allows unlimited undo, making experimentation easy.
    This is in direct conflict to saving your work frequently.

No number of backups afford this feature once you have saved the design file. All you have is a design file snapshot with no memory of how it got to where it is.

The only way I have gotten around this is to keep the design file open (always) and clone the latest backup to the name closest to the design file name so I always have the latest version and a true "Infinite Undo" - subject to Terms and Conditions and the amount of memory you have available...

Saving this Undo/Redo information is trivial and minimal in extent.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Affinity products can optionally save the file history in the file. It can severely bloat the file. I leave it off. But there are people who utilize that feature.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Affinity products can optionally save the file history in the file. It can severely bloat the file. I leave it off. But there are people who utilize that feature.
    Mike
    Mike, agreed but File > Document size already advises the Undo steps and Undo size so this one little improvement is available bar some UI changes.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    Mike, agreed but File > Document size already advises the Undo steps and Undo size so this one little improvement is available bar some UI changes.

Acorn
    Thanks Acorn & Mike.

I just tried the Affinity "Save History with Document"... woah-wow. Exactly as I suggested. These days, where terabytes are the norm, what are a few extra meg? Disk space is cheap. Affinity are making long strides and are quite attentive to their forums. (Not a hint, but a cautionary glance at you Matt Bolton - the fat lady might not be singing, but she sure is warming up in the dressing room)

Didn't Artworks have this feature Acorn? I seem to remember it did as you could open someone elses file & undoing it to see how it was made.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Didn't Artworks have this feature Acorn? I seem to remember it did as you could open someone elses file & undoing it to see how it was made.
    Heady days Egg.
    Artworks User Manual, page 42: "You can also choose not to save the Undo buffer with the document."
    Lost in translation,
    Acorn