Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Links do not work

I am exploring Web Designer Pro trail.

I have created a main entry page and a couple of other pages. The main entry page has a menu bar that is intended to include links to other pages off the sub-menu items. I have implemented a few of these links. On one of the other pages I have also implemented links within the page, to headings further down the page.

My problem is, when I display the website in the browser (IE, Edge and Google), the links from the menu structure and the links to headings on the page do not work. They display a message indicating they cannot find the link page.

Is there any obvious reason for this? I have entered the links correctly in the Web Properties dialog box.

Default Re: Links do not work

I'm sure someone will come along that can help. As fir me I cannot since I do not do web stuff.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

A Xara application is a genial idiot; it will do what you tell it.
    So you must have told it something it cannot do.

What are each of the pages called?
    If you click on each NavBar button in your design page, does the pop-up show the right pagename?
    If you double-click the NavBar to edit it, does the URL column show Page: n (pagename)?

For the Headings on a page, have you given these a Name in the Names pop-up?
    Have you used the Names in the Link to anchor box?

If not anchors, did you use Headings?
    Did you use the Link to heading box.

In all the examples, have you fully committed by pressing Add, Apply and OK buttons in all the dialog windows in turn?

If the jump to Headings does not appear to work, reduce the vertical height of your browser so the calling link is visible. Click it and if the pages jumps to the Heading, all is well.
    No apparent effect is usually when the browser is already at the page bottom and can move no further down.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

To the best of my knowledge I have implemented the page links correctly.
    I have named the pages (are there any restrictions on naming?)

Yes, when I double click the NavBar, the URL column does show the correct page name.

On the live site, when I hover over the relevant drop down menu item, the info bar at the bottom of the screen shows "http://localhost:8000/virt200df1b4/focus_area_quality_compliance (I renamed to remove spaces and an "&" in the page name but this did not work either)

I wonder if there could be some issue with the setting up of the local server?

Having said all that, in playing around with the naming of one of the pages and the link to it off the drop down menu (as noted above), strangely, the menu navigation now seems to be working for all of the drop down entries I had actioned! It is a bit weird.... but at least now that seems to have fixed itself

For the jump to navigation on the page, I have done 'Link to Heading' and selected the heading from the name in the drop down list. Seems straightforward...
    And yes, the pages are long enough that the browser will need to jump down to an area out of view.

Interestingly, when I hover over the button in the browser preview, the URL that is displayed at the bottom of the screen ends with "....page name#" but there is no final locator for the heading position. Is this correct?

Make sure your your nav bar is on the top. Select the nav bar and Arrange > Bring to Front. Do this on each page.

The local host indication means you are viewing the site on your computer.

Thanks for the clarification. As noted previously, the nav bar is working now. I am actually not sure why, because I only played around with naming of one page and the link to it off the menu, but it seems to have corrected itself for all menu selections I have linked so far

I am still having the issue with the in-page jump to navigation. I re-linked buttons at the top to the headings further down the page, but it is still not working. I also made sure the buttons at the top were 'on top' as you describe above. When hovering over the button, it displays the same URL I noted above for all three buttons. I would think there should be an indicator for the heading at the end.....

Quote Originally Posted by PWK View Post
    I would think there should be an indicator for the heading at the end.....
    There are for my links. Try using anchors instead.

The other problem, one which I faced early on with Xara development, is trying to "discover" too much on one page when designing it.
    I now isolate the new thing i am learning on a new page and work on just that so i can undo and replay design steps; mixing it in with my main design page always has me changing something else and then I am unable to backtrack.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks for the advice. Anchors work, so I will use these!
    Does not really explain why linking to headings does not work, because it is the same workflow to apply etc

I tried a test of linking to Headings and it worked fine. Not sure where I have been but I have never tried this before.

Yes, I would have thought it should work, as it seems straightforward enough.

I wonder if it is because by heading is within a Group and maybe cannot be reached directly? I will have to try to put a heading outside a Group and see if it works...