Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Very confused about upgrade path...

365-v15 will install seperately from 365-v12

as long as your licence is current you can use it to register/activate both

AFAIK this will only count as one '365 activation' of your two in total as that is machine based

Acorn will know for sure

Thanks. I'll give it a try. If I'm not back in 3 days, then send in a search party. Dan

I don't mean to hijack this thread but just so someone else feels my pain, I wasn't aware that there was an update as every time I checked within Xara it told me I was up to date.

Turns out that I should have checked on the Xara website and I could have updated before my subscription ran out at the end of January.

I know there was a change over with Magix but it could have been dealt with in a way that I didn't miss out on my last update before expiration.

Agreed. It is unclear to me why my installation and 365 license repeatedly shows that my ver 12 installation is up-to-date while over at Magix there is a New Version 15 that must be bought or, if you know the trick, can be downloaded free. Major disjoint on the Xara/Magix management of its customer updates. The ver 15 is not clear as to whether it will install as an update or as an additional install. Handrawn has been very helpful in providing experience on that issue.

which is ironic as handrawn has absolutely no intention of installing ver 15 himself, because it offers nothing for him but always glad to help

@ Dahzee - if you had a current ver 12 licence when ver 15 came out, then you should still be be able to download as trial and install it... it may not update from that point if you do not renew your licence henceforth, but it should still install and activate with ver 12 key

the internal program update only appears to look at that version number [eg 12] not the latest version released - not helpful, agreed

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    which is ironic as handrawn has absolutely no intention of installing ver 15 himself, because it offers nothing for him but always glad to help

@ Dahzee - if you had a current ver 12 licence when ver 15 came out, then you should still be be able to download as trial and install it... it may not update from that point if you do not renew your licence henceforth, but it should still install and activate with ver 12 key

the internal program update only appears to look at that version number [eg 12] not the latest version released - not helpful, agreed
    Thanks handrawn, Dan's profile said he has XDP10 and I forgot to mention to him that he needed V12 to update to V15
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Wizard509. I have ver 12, just haven't updated my profile.

Followup:

There appear to be two ways to upgrade from ProX12 to ProX15. Handrawn is, reluctantly, correct in going to Magix, DPX Product page, and downloading the Trial Version.

The other way is to go to the MAGIX Download Center, Enter your Ver 12 Serial Number, Select your system (32/64) and download.

Both files are the same size. File names are the same except the Trial version name has "trial_' appended to the front.

Install is without event and requires your 365 Serial Number.

The install creates a new and separate install of Ver 15, which is typical of major upgrades from Xara.

One peculiarity. The Help/About box shows a Licensee and Organization. For whatever reason, the 15 install put my Organization info in the Licensee field and left the Organization field empty. It is a quick fix requiring an adventure into the RegEdit file.

All in all, rather painless, excluding the reconstruct of the customizations in Ver 12.

If this was previous general knowledge then apologies for repeating and thanks for letting me share.

Dan

Thanks for that Dan
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

ok Dan, thanks

having new version number 15 means that it can be run as a trial by those without a current licence [ which incremental updates to 12 cannot] - something that was requested of xara which they have been kind enough to implement

AFAIK there is no difference to the downloaded versions, one is labelled 'trial' but they both the same thing

I guess we will get used to the new system on the magix servers before too long.....