Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Selecting more than one Used Bitmap or Used Colour at a time in the Name Gallery

no probs

maybe xara whilst they are at it, could look at sorting out the way the name gallery handles [or should that be dosn't handle] colours in a gradient ramp..

Default Re: Selecting more than one Used Bitmap or Used Colour at a time in the Name Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

here's my test file - does it work for you?
    Yes, it does.

WHAT's going on - one of my posts is missing - it was post #6 the one that showed the screen shot attachment with the brown colour and the pale blue colour name gallery entries.. that explained what it was I experiencing...

@Boy - so if you can remember that SShot - if you click on one circle and then control-click on another several places down, all the ones in between automatically fill in?

EDIT - remade it :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remade ng-col-sel.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	119941

if this goes I'll make a video
    Last edited by handrawn; 30 January 2018 at 09:43 PM.

I can't see anywhere were the OP required a selection of all colours between one colour and another colour selected. His request was to select more than one colour in the name gallery, which the Ctrl button does excellently. In fact I cant see any value in say a Ctrl+Shift selecting all colours between these values unless you could first sort them by hue, saturation etc.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

tell me egg - what difference is there between a mouseclick and a ctrl+mouseclick when selecting colours in the name gallery? answer none; at least when I do it

so selecting more than one colour in the name gallery requires simply another click for each additional colour to be selected - now I am sure that this would have been the first thing the OP would have tried... and also they tried the ctrl and other modifiers and it didn't do what they wanted, says so in the first post, so what else is left? - apart from some of us having a different piece of what is supposed to be the same software - don't think it's a registry or settings issue, but if you can think of one I'd be all ears

the OP said, amongst other things:
    Only being able to select one colour at a time is frankly painful
    and that is exactly the situation, the selection process is one at a time

this is not the same thing as 'only being able to have one colour selected'

there are lots of things in xara I can see no value to, and some I value that few others seem to... but whichever way I look at it multiple selections in one go are not possible for me, be they contiguous or not, and that is clearly what the OP wants as I read it...

anlyway the colours in the name gallery are frequently ordered already - here is an example of that:

Name:	2018-01-31 08_10_07-Xara Designer Pro X.png 
Views:	64 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	119947

ok, its in a limited palette greyscale, but that's the only example I have to hand right now - it all depends what you are importing/tracing [in my case], and I can see can see block selection could well be useful

[edit: limited palette in terms of hue - just out of interest there are 33,166 shapes in that one trace....]
    Last edited by handrawn; 31 January 2018 at 09:01 AM.

Handrawn,

You have interpreted my situation exactly.

There is no apparent way that you can do multiple selections.

You can only click each item one at a time.

There seems to be no way I could select all the unnamed colours in the attached list in one go, only one at a time.

You can see by the size of the slider how many more items there are in this list.

The only other way I can do multiple selections is by windowing in the drawing itself with Ctrl pressed so it creates a crossing window that includes everything inside and touching the window.

This obviously is quicker but you can't easily remove (from the selection) any entities that you want to keep.

Thanks again for all the replies.

Name:	Name Gallery.png 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	119953

I used to do this sort of thing a lot... not AutoCad [dxf], but from bitmap traces imported into xara in AI and then PDF format [as well as traces made internally]

anything that makes the 'weeding-out' easier is welcome

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post

@Boy - so if you can remember that SShot - if you click on one circle and then control-click on another several places down, all the ones in between automatically fill in?
    In Xara Ctrl + mouse click (or Shift + mouse click) only allows you to add one Name Gallery item at a time.

I'm curious to know from the devs why in some Xara set-ups this works and in others not.

maybe what was practical to implement at the time? as far as I know the name gallery hasn't been looked at for a long time; it's true shift+click to select a range is faily common now, the page and layer gallery has it, but that was revamped [from old layer gallery] relatively recently....

Quote Originally Posted by Dahzee View Post
    Handrawn,

Name:	Name Gallery.png 
Size:	23.7 KB 
ID:	119953
    And could you explain why Ctrl + Shift would assist in the situation re your colour name gallery above?

As I stated:

In fact I cant see any value in say a Ctrl+Shift selecting all colours between these values unless you could first sort them by hue, saturation etc.
    They are not sorted by hue, saturation etc, only by meaningless Unnamed colour names. Your example attachment shows Greens mixed willy-nilly with other shades (Red & Yellow etc.)
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host