Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default Appointing other editors

I am building a website for a club (as a volunteer; I'm a member). I would like to have other execs in the club edit pages related to their position and remember that Xara was going to include that functionality at one time. Did that happen?

If so, can I restrict such "assistant" editors to individual pages, to prevent havoc on the rest of the site?

Default Re: Appointing other editors

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    I am building a website for a club (as a volunteer; I'm a member). I would like to have other execs in the club edit pages related to their position and remember that Xara was going to include that functionality at one time. Did that happen?
    If so, can I restrict such "assistant" editors to individual pages, to prevent havoc on the rest of the site?
    Xara now offer their long-running beta service for the Xara Online Designer (https://cloud.ixara.com/). This allows you to share editing.

It might be possible in the https://hosting.xara-online.com/webftp area to password protect certain manifest items and share the password(s) to your sub-editors. There is no password lock on individual objects on a page.

It might be better splitting the site into sub-sites to minimise the damage that will occur.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you Acorn. Once again I replied or thought I had but my post is not here. I was trying to find out this info for Windjamer and who know what happened maybe I clicked the wrong button it something.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

I always wanted to be able to 'allow' others to go to the 'back end' if you will, to edit/change/contribute to the document or site... a couple of thoughts and personal experiences with that.

Regarding Xara's online designer... I created about a ½ dozen or so 'simple' press releases for a client. And rather than them reading a PDF and then telling me the changes, and then
    me changing it and then sending it back to them, and then..... well you get the point. So... bright idea!!!

I put them on the 'Online Designer', shared/gave access to them so they can simple add/change/delete/ etc. What an interesting concept. What an interesting experience.

I soon found out that I'd rather be told what the changes are, fix it, send the PDF back over and over then have to SPEND HOURS REFORMATTING THE STINKING MESS THEY MADE
    when they get their little paws on the doc — that is if they didn't delete all or part of it and then proceed to tell me that they "DIDN'T DO ANYTHING, IT JUST DISAPPEARED".

Moral of the story... it's nice to share, but if the shar-ee doesn't know how to use the app... I wish you luck.
    http://pianomagicnewsletter.com/ (never done - never time for me)

Hi Windjamer,

Xara Online Designer allows people to work on the same document or website. It will one day allow a coordinator to protect certain areas of the document from being edited by other members of the team but it does not yet have that ability.

Xara Online Designer will also one day allow you to see who made what changes to a document but, again, doesn't do that yet I'm afraid. However if the document is stored in one of the big cloud services, like Dropbox, they maintain their own change histories for the document which can be useful.

You can load any XAR file into Online Designer, and it's free to use so might be worth a try - if you can impose some discipline on your collaborators!

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    Thank you Acorn. Once again I replied or thought I had but my post is not here. I was trying to find out this info for Windjamer and who know what happened maybe I clicked the wrong button it something.
    I have just scanned across moderated and deleted Threads and Posts and there is nothing of yours in there.
    My TG login times out and I wibble through trying to recover what I've typed in. Perhaps you clicked away thinking it had posted.
    sometimes if i am lucky the autosave button has kept an almost up-to-date version when I log back in.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks Acorn, I had contacted Phil and his reply to Windjamer is #5
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilM View Post
    Hi Windjamer,

Xara Online Designer allows people to work on the same document or website. It will one day allow a coordinator to protect certain areas of the document from being edited by other members of the team but it does not yet have that ability.

Xara Online Designer will also one day allow you to see who made what changes to a document but, again, doesn't do that yet I'm afraid. However if the document is stored in one of the big cloud services, like Dropbox, they maintain their own change histories for the document which can be useful.

You can load any XAR file into Online Designer, and it's free to use so might be worth a try - if you can impose some discipline on your collaborators!

Phil
    I used to have a page in a FrontPage web "get" a text file to fill a page. Then, I only had to allow a user to modify that text file, not the website (My users were FTP knowledgeable.) I presume that such files could reside in DropBox; one for each exec editor. As long as I only wanted them to edit the copy, not the pics or graphics, that should work. As long as I kept the page simple enough, I could just put the "get" code in a box.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Windjamer View Post
    I used to have a page in a FrontPage web "get" a text file to fill a page. Then, I only had to allow a user to modify that text file, not the website (My users were FTP knowledgeable.) I presume that such files could reside in DropBox; one for each exec editor. As long as I only wanted them to edit the copy, not the pics or graphics, that should work. As long as I kept the page simple enough, I could just put the "get" code in a box.
    Thoughts?
    That works. I have used simple HTML files that I then use with the Embed a website widget.
    Others have used GoogleDocs.

Acorn

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    That works. I have used simple HTML files that I then use with the Embed a website widget.
    Others have used GoogleDocs.

Acorn
    I need to experiment with these widgets more!