Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default follllow up on Designer Prox(15)-effect

Hi,
    I posted awhile ago about an effect done in Designer Pro x(15) advertisement regarding the
    effect on a woman's eye. I wanted to get a tutorial on how to achieve it. Here is the video
    I was referring too
    https://youtu.be/mTOALQX-ego
    Thanks Jim
    Last edited by Scotty; 26 January 2018 at 05:38 PM.
    Intel i7-2600 processor 3.4GH, Windows 10 64Bit, 12GB Memory, Geforce 960 2Gb graphics card

Default Re: follllow up on Designer Prox(15)-effect

And there is that navigation wheel again. I wonder if the Xara designers are using something different than what is released to the public?

Ray

Smoke & Mirrors. A complete fantasy.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Two threads asking for a simple how to create this effect and I'm the only one who actually bothered to try and answer the question 5 days later! There was a time on this forum when a question like this would have been answered by four or five different people with four or five different methods in the first couple of hours! What has happened to us?? Me, I now work full time but I still try to answer questions when I can. Ok enough rant Sorry Scotty! To answer your question:

First in the video they don't show the complete work involved to create the effect. I have attached a .xar file that you can pull apart and have a look at. But basically I traced around the eye with a brush, the trees and the photo of the model I got from pixabay. I adjusted contrast brightness and hue on the photo to come close to your example.

The trees were adjusted in the same way as the model image. I sliced the trees apart using the free hand tool to draw lines then selecting the trees and linesand Ctrl + 4 repeatedly to get 3 chunks. The bottoms of the trees were erased to remove a white stone that the trees seemed to be growing out of and also to give a curved edge. I placed the trees around the eye playing around with rotation and scale to get a pleasing composition. Then the trees were placedbehind the line work and given a hard light transparency to blend them into the photo.
    the final touch I gave this was to add a cyan coloured ellipse on top and give that an elliptical hard light transparency.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eyeeffect.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	45.9 KB 
ID:	119921  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Smoke & Mirrors. A complete fantasy.
    maybe the wheel is a work in progress; a touch screen and/or online designer thing... would not be the first time xara marketing have been 'ahead of themselves'... and maybe it is just a trendy artifice

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    There was a time on this forum when a question like this would have been answered by four or five different people with four or five different methods in the first couple of hours! What has happened to us?? Me, I now work full time but I still try to answer questions when I can...
    This is rhetorical right? - You must know the answer why some of us don't put ourselvers out anymore

Good for you in making time to give an answer to the question though

angelize, I force myself to wait until there have been 100 reads of the Thread before throwing my tuppence-worth in as I know most other TGers are more knowledgeable than I am.
    I break that rule where I seem to the the resident guru on web design aspects.

On Scotty's ask, I would have said add trees with some transparency...
    ...to me this is a basic Xara feature that doesn't need a tut.

Perhaps I differ from most but I don't bust a gut trying to copy someone else's nice thing, I play with the tool and challenge it (and myself) and once I know what we can do together, I then make things.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Original question reminds me of the Irishman, when asked "How do I get to the town centre?" replies "Well if I was you I wouldn't be starting from here."

That video is a very false advert and in my opinion shouldn't exist. It needs reporting to Trading Standards.

There was a time on this forum when a question like this would have been answered by four or five different people with four or five different methods in the first couple of hours!
    And that was a time when Xara was a far more vector based program with many vector followers and was software far in advance of it's competitors. Unfortunately that's no longer the case Frances
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    Unfortunately that's no longer the case Frances
    Which program are you using now, Egg?

I still use Designer Pro x11 and don't fancy playing with lots of better developed alternatives, but if you have a suggestion I'd give it a go!

Quote Originally Posted by RKissane View Post
    And there is that navigation wheel again. I wonder if the Xara designers are using something different than what is released to the public?

Ray
    Hi,

I'll take a wild guess that Xara is working on the navigation wheel but it's not ready for prime time Why? Because Magix has a similar wheel, actually wheels, just released. See this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAbQymCDC9g

I had the opportunity to try it out, but not on my touch screen Surface Pro 4, unfortunately. Neat!

Note that Drawboard PDF comes with a navigation wheel.

Name:  Xara navigation wheel from Drawboard.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  5.4 KB
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Plot twist: that video is actually to promote a file compression utility. Nobody knows why or how any of those workflows are demonstrated.