Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default uploading website

Hi Can anybody explain me.

Maybe i do something wrong or i have to change my settings somewhere but everytime i want to upload a change for my website the program is uploading the full website. is there not a possabillity to only upload the changed pages or something.

our adsl in spain is slow as thick shit and wit 1 MB upload it takes a day. and then when you find out you need another small change the nightmare starts again.

thanks in advanced,

Musicdiver

Default Re: uploading website

Go to Utilities/Web Properties/Publish and tick "Fast Publish (Only changed files)."

Go through your site and use the Name function to rename large images with this syntax: filename="whatever you want to call it". Be careful if you use the same image shared across Variants.
    You will have a bigger upload but there after, these images won't upload with Fast Publish set.

You cannot just upload individual pages.

You might consider splitting the site into sub-sites.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Why can you not upload individual pages? I do this via Filezilla after saving the site locally first. If you change a photo then you have to upload the index_htm_files as well. If it's just text then you can upload an individual page.

Quote Originally Posted by Miko View Post
    Why can you not upload individual pages? I do this via Filezilla after saving the site locally first. If you change a photo then you have to upload the index_htm_files as well. If it's just text then you can upload an individual page.
    Because of the way Xara numbers images. A text change should just be the inclusion or removal of SPANs with the changed text sitting pretty. If there is repel under then an image's position should just be a simply change of x/y co-ordinates. A text change on a NavBar is different as it ends up as an image that it repeated across a number of pages. Some text is grouped so it is a published image, although editable in the design. Once you have a change to an image, Xara plays safe and starts the renumbering and therefore extensive uploading of a minimally changed site. Variants probably don't help either.

Xara introduced the Fast Publish to get over some of this overhead but what a designer considers minor, the application might not.

Yes, if you are lucky, you can just load the page htm for text changes but eventually you will drift away from the Xara internal model of your site and start getting strange behaviours like the orientation of a rotated image may or may not present, or worse, a different image is in a place it ought not to be.

The following are some of the things i try to ensure fast uploads; some may just be hockum. I avoid grouping text. I change text blocks using a htmlblocktext Name. I try to not use the Xara NavBar solution. I Name images. I split large sites. I avoid Variants and build a separate one for hand-held devices and use code to switch when the viewport size changes.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks, Acorn, for this explanation. It also explains the problems I have experienced recently.
    Xara should have mentioned this explicitly in my opinion, but perhaps useful to make this explanation 'sticky'.

I can only agree with Acorns points above.

Another alternative is to use the more standard 'image' folder to hold your images rather than have them reside in the index_htm_files folder and thus keep the original image file name/s. Call these into your site using a placeholder. This requires some good housekeeping to ensure your images are created at the correct resolution rather than depend on Xara creating the optimum size of the image. But that's good practice anyway.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	replace-with-graphic-file.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	119922  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host