Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default useless message, now what?

Okay, so I want to make a sub-menu, I guess in the xara language it is called a menu. Does this mean I can not design a website with sub-menus? How else would I do this? The warning says they suggest not to have links on buttons that have menus, sounds very confusing? I am really messed up with this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard-1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	119895

Default Re: useless message, now what?

Hi Behzad,

You can make the sub-menus, but as the warning message indicates, your menu button has a link and a sub-menu. For those with touch-screens, touching the menu button will jump to the link and the user will not be able to open the menu to select something from the sub-menu. I have a touch-screen, Surface Pro 4, and I was just in my account in an investment web site. If I use my finger to open the sub-menu on the trading button, it just jumps to the trading screen and I can't get the sub-menu to stick long enough to click on anything. This is what the message is about.

Of course, if I use the stylus with the Surface Pro and hover just above the menu button without touching the screen, just like using a mouse, the sub-menu opens and I can select something. Unfortunately, one cannot hover with a finger.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Yeah, I find that warning menu a PITA. I have reported it to Xara who may or may not do anything about it.

I have gotten this warning even if the button itself is not linked, which it should not be linked anyway.

Thank you John and Gary, but what to do? I tested another website that also suffered from the same on tablets. So there is no solution to making a menu for a tablet? This only happens for example on iphone x which vertically is fine because I have the hamburger menu but when flipped sideways it switched to desktop and then the menu issue becomes a problem. No wonder now I see the hamburger menu used more often on desktop or tablets. Is there anything I can do? surely there should be a solution?

Quote Originally Posted by behzad View Post
    Thank you John and Gary, but what to do? I tested another website that also suffered from the same on tablets. So there is no solution to making a menu for a tablet? This only happens for example on iphone x which vertically is fine because I have the hamburger menu but when flipped sideways it switched to desktop and then the menu issue becomes a problem. No wonder now I see the hamburger menu used more often on desktop or tablets. Is there anything I can do? surely there should be a solution?
    At the top level, you have a number of NavBar buttons. You must ensure that none have any links whatsoever if you are adding a sub-menu to them. The sub-menu items can have links as all the top visible button is doing is allowing a roll-over event to open the sub-menu. If you want the top level NavBar button to do something, you need to replicate that action in another sub-menu entry. I usually make that entry the first one with the same title plus " page".

If the top level NavBar button has no sub-menu entries then any link is allowed.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thanks acorn. I assume this is the norm for all other web design programs?