Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Attach line to editable shape

Hello - I'm new to this forum, and I apologize if this is an easy question -- I've searched around, but I haven't found an answer. I would like to be able to attach a line (or lines) to an editable shape. For example, I'd like to have a square, and then draw a diagonal inside the square so that each end of the line forming the diagonal attaches to the corners of the square. This is a simple example, but the idea is that if I then modify the shape of the object (say, turn it into a rhombus), the line will remain attached to the two corners. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Default Re: Attach line to editable shape

Welcome to TalkGraphics

You can group the line with the shape. Then if you modify the shape the line will be modified as well.

Is this what you had in mind?

Welcome to TalkGraphics Mike.

Is this what you're after?

Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

@Gary, where have the two squares appeared from? Is there a Post in moderation?

There is a XDPX cheat for the diagonal for the square.
    Draw the square with 1 pt red line width.
    Arrange >Convert line to shape.
    With the Shape tool, zoom in and carefully pick the inner control point of the top right corner.
    Use the Down arrow with Ctrl/Shift/Alt move this point over the inner control point of bottom right corner.
    repat upwards for the bottom left to top left corners.
    You will now have a red "square".
    Add back the line width. Change the Line colour to black.

This "square" can now be reshaped and the diagonal remains locked with these corners.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Oh God, I thought I'd finally lost it, the funny farm for me! Reminded me of the classic Brit comedy sketch by the two Ronnie's "Answering the Question Before Last"
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the video, Egg, learned something new again!