Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Xara Magix Webdesigner Premium

Wanted to find out how a supersite would work out. So I made 6 pages for one total page. Wouldn't work.

So, changed supersite to normale pages.Tried all options I could find, but no, no result. Making those 6 pages in Wordpress or in ol html would be faster.
    But wanted to study for more websites within Webdesigner.

At this moment - yes , it's too late in my time - this is the final result :

[1] Preview the website ( exported to the Windows directory ) works wonderfull. All pages come up through the menu as it should be.
    Published the whole website through ftp by Webdesign into a subdirectory ( same as local directory ) of a new website ( the root was already used for a former not working test )

[2] Result on remote website, because files not found, drops old template content together with new text , without pictures and layout on the screen.

Any idea to solve ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	local page in preview website.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	119869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	result based on remote.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	133.0 KB 
ID:	119870  

Default Re: Xara Magix Webdesigner Premium

By default, (and god knows why), Xara exports sites as index.htm and all the page files are .htm.

Browsers looks for an index file and if they find two, the browser loads the index.html file even if the index.htm file is newer.

Suggest you clear out all the files and then republsih.

I appreciate your comments about WordPress. But I seriously doubt that the first few days/weeks you spent with WordPress everything made sense.

There is always a learning curve. Once you get to the point where you are designing sites in your sleep, things get easier.

From your screenshot I wonder if you omitted the index_htm_files folder. Web Designer HTML references this folder for all images and files such as .js scrips, etc.

Thanks for your answer Gary, but I make Wordpress sites ever since the year 2000, and in clean HTML 1980 ;-). Computer experience from the time of Commodore, Tandy , Sharp MZ and so on.

Because I use very often Xara Photo & Graphics, Page Layout and so on, it was my hope, Webdesign would as simple as Photo Design. A big problem is where to place important information. And what is where expected.

I know the problem with htm and html.
    htaccess can help with:
    DirectoryIndex xxxxxx.html etc to the former/newer index file.
    Redirect 301 index.htm http://.html
    Redirect 301 index.html http://.htm etc.

Nevertheless, I started with htm, with the same problems. Lateron changed to html.

ftp by myself and Filezilla, ftp by Webdesign, it makes no difference. Ftp by Webdesign should have more specification ....

index_htm_files folder was present, and in case of html, this becomes index_html_files folder.

Remarkeble in thumbnail 2, it's from a template. I changed or deleted the example text, and made new. Nevertheless, it comes through my own text.

Most important in my point of view : if the webpreview is completely wunderfull, how can the webversion be different ? That's not a preview.

My first single page tryout was a disaster, but .... now it's working for some time.
    Checking both » no differences, except, the first is working, the second not. And this one has 6 pages, the first 1. And this one was a supersite, but in export sub-menu it could be changed to normal. That's all (..)

I had a Timex-Sinclair TX-1000. :-)

If you do not see your changes after you publish, refresh the page in the browser. Ctrl + F5.

If the site looks OK in Preview, then export the website to a folder on your desktop. Open the folder and double click on the index.html file. These are the same files you are publishing to your web host. If everything looks OK then there is no reason why the site will not look the same in the browser when you upload the files.

Web Designer is a visual design program (WYSIWYG). You put content on the page where you want it and Web Designer writes the code.

Can you give us a link like example dot com slash testfolder slash index dot htm?
    Not sure if I understand the problem, but you should never change the folder name as it is referenced in the htm and potentially some js files.

And possibly upload your xar/web file too?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Gary,
    We are probably of the same youthful edition, the generation that still knows how a PC works inside. With a memory capacity of less than 1 document of today. I mean the computer.
    For the Sharp MZ I made a RAM card out of half of the display card ... gave a bit more flexibility. In assembler of course.

@
    siran : I think so. xr_files.txt holds old names, don't know where to change.
    Tried back to .htm » doesn't work.
    Totally back to .html AND back to the root » doen't work either so the sitemap shows : http://cruise-trips.nl/index.html. The .htaccess has no directive temporarily, so you have to use the full address.

@Egg Bramhill : I will try. Don't know how much this forum is prepared to 'eat'.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Just found out that the mobile and 640 px version are not automaticly changed. On the other hand : some Dutch is added . Don't understand.

http://gwpriester.xara.hosting/zeecruise/home.htm I will remove this in a few hours but it published OK as far as I can see.

Hi again Dutchie,

I downloaded your web and then published it to my server. No issue with the site at all. So it must be your ftp process causing issues. Let me know when you're happy and I'll delete it from my server

LINK
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host