Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Lines and shapes not printing

Cpould someone please print the attached .xar file and let me know the result.
    Page&Layout Designer 11 - have a shape and a bitmap of a tree and a "squigly line" shape and a bitmap copy of it - the bitmaps print but not the line shapes.
    I then copied the lines and bitmaps into WDP12 and printed the page - same result!
    Also attached is a jpeg so you can see what the file looks like.
    Thanks in advance,
    LGF

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitmap & shape.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	12.1 KB 
ID:	119839bitmap & shape.xar

Default Re: Lines and shapes not printing

Got the same result as you, only the bitmaps printed. To print the shapes had to make bitmap copies of them.

Stygg

The tree shape is very complicated. You may need to simplify it for some printer drivers.

You don't have to lose any detail, just break it up into a number of smaller shapes.

Phil

Or, try with just exporting to PDF and print the PDF.

if you are printing to paper then in designer pro I would change the xara print options for the document to print as either bitmap or antialiased bitmap - you can choose automatic or you can choose a suitable dpi manually to suit

- but I have no idea if this option is in P&L or WD...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-01-16 17_10_47-Xara Designer Pro X - [bitmap & shape _].jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	119843
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks everyone - yes, it's fine as a .pdf.
    Also the "print as anti aliased bitmap" worked.
    I understand that the tree is a very complex/detailed shape, but the "wave" is a simple divider from the design gallery...

Am I right in thinking these shapes were not created in Xara?

looking at your squigly line I'd say that pattern was not done by hand.. if it had a, say wave, effect added in another program then, although xara can render it to screen, it's possible that it cannot print it if the print side of the program cannot deal with this effect...

in actual fact the squgly line is a group object in your file - if I ungroup it and try to print, xdpx12 crashes

there is nothing reported in this group in xara other than the line in xara, but maybe something is 'missing' ....

EDIT - I just re-read the bit about the wave being from the design gallery - I can't test that because I don't have access to it, but the wave will not print for me even in a file by itself and surely if it's from the design gallery it should, although maybe xara does not check these things, who knows - did you post process it in any way?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The divider line does print if you convert the line to shape, but this isn't much help to a novice who wants to add it to a print document.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Thanks for the reply Egg - yes the tree was a .svg from Pixabay

I seem to remember from the very distant and very foggy past that very early on, there was a post script limit on complex shapes. Illustrator and maybe Freehand would arbitrarily break complex shapes that would not print in EPS into several shapes. Corel I also seem to remember did not do this and used to cause problems at the Service Bureau (remember those places) when you were trying to output your file.