Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Catalogue Making - Image Frame Tool Required

Hi - Sorry if this is not the best forum to post it, As I couldn't find one that suited my needs. I am using Xara Designer Pro X11 to make a catalogue (I used to use InDesign but it was no longer cost-effective for me).

I am struggling to see how to insert an image into a rectangle box - Or just in general - Is there something like a Frame that I can place an image in - And then resize the image to fit the frame? (This is what I used to do in InDesign)

As I am making a catalogue this is very important - As I will simply create the layout with rectangles using Xara's page Grid and then drag images into these sections Obviously I do not want to have to keep resizing an image and positioning it.

Thank you

Default Re: Catalogue Making - Image Frame Tool Required

I have discovered that if I click on the Rectangle and then click at the righthand side of the application on Bitmap Gallery, I can right-click on the image I want and Apply as Fill. Seems to do the trick. But doesn't work as well as InDesign's frame rectangle .. Is there another way? Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by SPLOXON View Post
    I have discovered that if I click on the Rectangle and then click at the righthand side of the application on Bitmap Gallery, I can right-click on the image I want and Apply as Fill. Seems to do the trick. But doesn't work as well as InDesign's frame rectangle .. Is there another way? Thank you
    Another method is to select the Rectangle, open the Fill tool and pick Bitmap. To the right is a control (Bitmap name) where you can pick the image.

Another way is drop an image onto the canvas from the Bitmap gallery - no need to add a rectangle. If you change its fill to Flat fill, you can tweak the "Shape" (line, outline) and re-apply a Bitmap fill. I prefer it this way.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

You can drag and drop an image from the Bitmap Gallery, or the desktop, of from a folder in Windows File Explorer onto the rectangle.

By default the image will fill the maximum height or width of the rectangle (or any other vector shape).

Welcome to TalkGraphics Sploxon. Could you supply an example of your catalogue?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Bring in some images and size them for your layout. Drag a copy off the page. Select your on-page version, right-click on it and choose Replace photo. The is a fly-out, choose From file. Alternatively, if you have an File Explorer instance open, you can just drag onto an existing photo. The outline remains, the photo changes.

The last one is the fastest means I know of.

Hey - Thanks for your replies. I have learnt a lot from this. I think the transparency fill is cool.

It seems as if there are two or three methods to use, either with Fill a shape - Or Replacing image with a different photo i.e. One could use any image to create the Template, and then simply Replace these images. Either method would work for me as my photos are generally all rectangular.

However, for me the Drag in from File Explorer, etc. does not seem to work. The image does not fill the rectangle Even though I drag it directly onto the shape. As you might have guessed, this was one of the first things I tried, which is what led me to contact advanced users at the forum.