Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
    On Lake Couchiching near Orillia, Ontario

Default Warning when going to Xara-hosted site

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warning.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	119785

When I go to my website directly from the URL bar, I get this warning. If I click on "View website" after publishing, it does not appear.

Any thoughts?

Default Re: Warning when going to Xara-hosted site

Let me see if I can get someone from Xara to explain this. Will be Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Let me see if I can get someone from Xara to explain this. Will be Monday.
    Thanks, Gary. I wouldn't want my users to get this, but I'm a long way from going live. No time crunch.

when you go to the website via URL do you type www. before the domain or not - does it make a difference either way

is this happening in all browsers or just one/some

I'm not an expert, but I've seen similar and based on that, if you have a security certificate on your site [and presumably you do], it may not be configured the way the browser/validator[your AV] is expecting - if this is the case it is I think an issue at the host end... but like I said, I'm not an expert on website setup, just use 'em a lot

It appears that you are trying to visit a secure website (https://mysite.com) [note the 'S' at the end of https] that either doesn't have or a wrongly initiated security certificate.
    Does your site have a security certificate?
    Does your site request bank account or credit/debit card details without a security certificate?
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

thanks

sorta what I meant egg..

here's something you can try out of interest maybe[though you may get different results if not in uk]

type this into URL bar : capitaloneonline.co.uk

see what you get.... I get:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-01-08 08_47_01-Microsoft Edge.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	119788

actual layout of message varies with browser - I'm slumming it with edge at the moment for technical reasons [darn meltdown]

NOTE: you have to type it in - if you copy and paste the system will add a / to the end and that works

it works if you type www. in front without the / at the end - just doesn't like the actual plain and simple domain

this is a major credit card company......

Hi Windjamer,

As Egg and handrawn has mentioned it looks like you are trying to access your website through a secure connection (https) when the website doesn't have a SSL certificate (or valid one).

Xara-Online unfortunately doesn't support SSL certification; this is something we have chased them for to implement.

Thanks
    Rob

As a matter of interest this is what FF throws up for your link HD.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	export.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	119796  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

a variant

and that's what I based my first comment on from memory can't use fox at moment for reasons technical to do with the new add-on API/MS melddown update.. hey ho

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    Hi Windjamer,

As Egg and handrawn has mentioned it looks like you are trying to access your website through a secure connection (https) when the website doesn't have a SSL certificate (or valid one).

Xara-Online unfortunately doesn't support SSL certification; this is something we have chased them for to implement.

Thanks
    Rob
    You are right. I didn't type any prefix, but the browser added https, I guess by default, or perhaps the last site I visited was secure. When the "s" is deleted from the string the site opens correctly.

If I type www, the site also opens without the secure prefix, or the warning.

Thanks to Gary, Handrawn and Egg for your assistance.