Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Unnecessary videos uploading to website

Xara DPX365

I created a simple web site using a copy of another one. The first one initially had some videos embedded. I removed them and replaced them with links to them in the Magix on-line album. The videos were uploaded anyways, even though I removed the placeholders.

In the new site, I deleted almost everything, including the placeholders for the video links and added a couple of pages with links to videos on YT. However, the original embedded videos uploaded to the site even though they are not used. I went through everything in the P&L Gallery and cannot find anything that should cause these videos to upload. I can't find anything that links to them. I removed the files from the original folder and from the folder created by the new web project to make sure that they could not be found. They were still found and were being uploaded (I cancelled the upload). I have limited capacity as I am presently using my cell phone as a mobile hot spot, so I don't want unnecessary things being uploaded.

I am using xara hosting for the web sites. Nothing complex. I gave up looking and just copied the videos over from the first web site to the second using Xara online hosting. That way they didn't use my bandwidth. However, I don't need or want these videos and they are using up the limited space in Xara hosting.

Is there something special that has to be done to purge these unnecessary videos from a project or some way to figure where and why they are being used?

Thanks,
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Default Re: Unnecessary videos uploading to website

Quote Originally Posted by browj2 View Post
    Xara DPX365

I created a simple web site using a copy of another one. The first one initially had some videos embedded. I removed them and replaced them with links to them in the Magix on-line album. The videos were uploaded anyways, even though I removed the placeholders.

In the new site, I deleted almost everything, including the placeholders for the video links and added a couple of pages with links to videos on YT. However, the original embedded videos uploaded to the site even though they are not used. I went through everything in the P&L Gallery and cannot find anything that should cause these videos to upload. I can't find anything that links to them. I removed the files from the original folder and from the folder created by the new web project to make sure that they could not be found. They were still found and were being uploaded (I cancelled the upload). I have limited capacity as I am presently using my cell phone as a mobile hot spot, so I don't want unnecessary things being uploaded.

I am using xara hosting for the web sites. Nothing complex. I gave up looking and just copied the videos over from the first web site to the second using Xara online hosting. That way they didn't use my bandwidth. However, I don't need or want these videos and they are using up the limited space in Xara hosting.

Is there something special that has to be done to purge these unnecessary videos from a project or some way to figure where and why they are being used?

Thanks,
    John, this is a guess.
    I suspect Xara may have used arcanery to embed the videos into your index_htm_files folder.

Export locally to a clean folder and open the index_htm_files folder to check if the videos are there.
    If so, try this: select all objects in your site and press Ctrl+Shift+Alt+D.
    Export again to another clean folder and see if anything has changed.

Look at https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...-A-Attach-File to see why.

Barking up the wrong gumtree (as I've got lost - I want my Mummy!),
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Thanks for taking a look. I saved the xar with a new name, made sure that there was nothing of importance in the folder that was created, exported to a local htm and the video files were not there. I then went back to the first file, made sure that the folder was empty and exported locally and the video files were not there. I had done the same thing last night and the video files were in the local export. Somehow, the program was still remembering them or I had had too much wine. Whatever, the problem seems solved.

Now I have to review the Xara Photo Slider Widget to understand better how that works. I had used it in the first project, created a copy of the project and changed the photos in the widget, not realizing that it was the same widget (same name stored somewhere) that I was modifying. That learning exercise messed up my original widget, of course, so I will have to do it again when I get home. At least the widget is now working again, at least for me. Live and learn.

Thanks again,
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Hi John, can you expand a bit further here. Are you using Xara Photo Slider Widget to load the original videos? Confused.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Hi Egg,

I should have mentioned that this was a separate problem, and not really a problem, just a misunderstanding as to how the Xara Slideshow widget works. I had only used it once, about a year or so ago with a bunch of photos for Christmas 2015. I copied the web page with the widget, changed the title of the page to Christmas 2017, opened the widget and changed the photos, as one with do with the photo sliders, closed it, updated the web page and noticed that the photos in my first slideshow were now the same as for 2017. After going back into the widget a couple of times, I noticed that there were Save and Load command and that the file name was for 2015. Oops. Now that I am home from the Christmas vacation in the mountains, I'll fix up the first Slideshow with the correct photos.

That said and out of curiosity, where are those photos saved? They must be on a Xara server. They are not included in the material uploaded to the web site. I just added several photos and the web site was updated without updating the site from Xara.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Hi Egg,

I should have mentioned that this was a separate problem, and not really a problem, just a misunderstanding as to how the Xara Slideshow widget works. I had only used it once, about a year or so ago with a bunch of photos for Christmas 2015. I copied the web page with the widget, changed the title of the page to Christmas 2017, opened the widget and changed the photos, as one with do with the photo sliders, closed it, updated the web page and noticed that the photos in my first slideshow were now the same as for 2017. After going back into the widget a couple of times, I noticed that there were Save and Load command and that the file name was for 2015. Oops. Now that I am home from the Christmas vacation in the mountains, I'll fix up the first Slideshow with the correct photos.

That said and out of curiosity, where are those photos saved? They must be on a Xara server. They are not included in the material uploaded to the web site. I just added several photos and the web site was updated without updating the site from Xara.
    John, yes, they are stored by Xara in their Space...

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Hi Acorn,

Hmmm. So we depend on Xara not deciding to no longer provide this service. I hope that this is not linked to the 365 program. For me, it's nothing critical as my use is for a family site. But, is it wise to use the widget in a professional site?

There are others out there that have these types of widget, jukebox, etc., and the files are stored on their sites. After an initial foray into one of these, I stopped using their widgets because I didn't like have to depend on them.
    John CB
    Xara DPX(19.0.1.65946)

Hi Acorn,

Hmmm. So we depend on Xara not deciding to no longer provide this service. I hope that this is not linked to the 365 program. For me, it's nothing critical as my use is for a family site. But, is it wise to use the widget in a professional site?

There are others out there that have these types of widget, jukebox, etc., and the files are stored on their sites. After an initial foray into one of these, I stopped using their widgets because I didn't like have to depend on them.
    John, I agree it is not "professional", which is why I invested in http://wowslider.com/.

The Xara EULA is worth a read. It seems to have disappeared from the in-built Help but is here: https://support.xara.com/index.php?/...designer-pro-x. In Section D, it mentions the Update Service and termination but does not refer to the Slideshow widget explicitly. I read this as it is provided through Xara as part of the On-line Service, you lose it on termination. Under General Terms of Use for Xara Online, you need to read Para 7. Services and 9. Guarantee.

Xara removed the widget from V12 last last year with a promise to restore "soon". It has re-emerged in V15 but not V12.

Acorn