Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Cannot use my second activation

BACKGROUND: -

I fired up the laptop I haven't used for quite a while to put on the ver 15 trial so I could verify the squish workflow issue [trial having died on my main computer]

did this ok

ISSUE: -

when I tried to use ver 12 on the laptop it said that I needed to deactivate one usage to use it on the laptop - magix screen came up showing two activations which were both for the same computer! [the main one] - unfortunately I didn't grab this I just deactivated one of them - program open ok and I used it, it also installed an update that was pending

next time I try to open ver 12 I get this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-01-06 12_06_31-Xara Designer Pro X.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	8.8 KB 
ID:	119755

when I went into my account stills showed both activated for the same main computer - both for todays date !?:

Name:	account activations ver 12.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	119756

I could now not access the ver 12 program on the laptop to deactivate it internally - and I had just used my once a month 30 days account deactivation for ver12, or so I thought, but on going to the account I was able to deactivate - but still I got the message number one above on the laptop - I rebooted the laptop, still message number one.. I went back to my account where it said I had deactivated, refreshed the page and then it said two activations on the same computer again as before - maybe the page refresh a mistake... so deactivated again logged off service centre and back on - yes now only the main computer activation showing.. progress? unfortunately no..

because... when trying to activate on the laptop still get message number one

so I have a spare activation but I cannot use it on the laptop - was accepting the update a mistake? if so it should not have been offered.. I think maybe this is the case because the laptop shows ver 12.8.1, wheras the main shows ver 12.6.2 presumably the point at which my ver 12 licence expired - if so then I repeat the update to ver 12 on the laptop should not have been offered

My friends, this has gone beyond hyperbole - this has now entered the realm of hard stares, not visible over the internet, but believe me they are there - not only are you breaking workflow in ver12, but your activation/update system appears in part at least broken - it should be way more robust than this

when I have time I may try restoring windows clean on the laptop - or if practical using a third computer

Meanwhile I can at least install and use use ver 11 on the laptop [I hope] - and I can try uninstalling ver 12 and reinstalling an earlier version and ignoring any update notifications - but they may persist and I really should not have to do this... and of course, it may not work...

all this is time wasted and no incentive to stick with Xara/magix whatsoever...

EDIT sorry about the mix up on description of grab two - I really wish I'd grabbed that first screen - but it does not obviate the issue about the update -

Default Re: Cannot use my second activation

UPDATE

I uninstalled the ver 12 on the laptop and reinstalled version 12.4 now I get this:

Name:	2018-01-06 14_09_44-Program Manager.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	119758

in the account at least there is only the main computer activated:

Name:	2018-01-06 14_11_08-Microsoft Edge.png 
Views:	78 
Size:	12.2 KB 
ID:	119760

but I still cannot use it on the laptop now.. without contacting support - but I have never installed the program on any computers other than these two - this is crap

just as well I don't currently need it on the laptop... guess I can contact support if I do, Xara was always good... magix,well.... we shall see

THOSE CONFUSED BY THE PREVIOUS POSTS [and that might include me looking at it again] MAY START HERE:

its an activation/update issue and this is what happened:

I fired up my laptop after a fair while of non-use ... somehow the system seems then to allow an update from ver 12.2 to ver 12.8 that goes beyond my licence period - so from then on it will not start and that I can understand... but why is it doing this?

I've verified this by restoring the laptop OS from backup image - all is well with xdpx ver12.2 until the offer of update comes along and is installed [just the one update] jumping it up to the version 12.8 that I am not entitled to, when understanderbly as said, it won't revalidate the licence activation

not right is it.. any chance you could, er... fix it ?

no rush I know you are busy, and I rarely use the laptop at the moment and when I do ver11 will probably suffice should I need xara... but it could be a problem for others...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    THOSE CONFUSED BY THE PREVIOUS POSTS [and that might include me looking at it again] MAY START HERE:
    its an activation/update issue and this is what happened:
    I fired up my laptop after a fair while of non-use ... somehow the system seems then to allow an update from ver 12.2 to ver 12.8 that goes beyond my licence period - so from then on it will not start and that I can understand... but why is it doing this?
    I've verified this by restoring the laptop OS from backup image - all is well with xdpx ver12.2 until the offer of update comes along and is installed [just the one update] jumping it up to the version 12.8 that I am not entitled to, when understanderbly as said, it won't revalidate the licence activation
    not right is it.. any chance you could, er... fix it ?
    no rush I know you are busy, and I rarely use the laptop at the moment and when I do ver11 will probably suffice should I need xara... but it could be a problem for others...
    I feel your pain. Xara seems to assume that bug fixes and updates can be lumped together and so the burden is on the Customer to download the correct version and ignore the offer of the "available" update. In the period you had paid for the service, you will have been allow to up-version and get free bug updates. Get out of service cover and you install the wrong version, you get caught in this quagmire.

I use Bullguard AV and this has restricted activations.
    All is run from a logon to the site where I can see devices, activations and cover and I can disable, change and download appropriate versions at any time.

All rocket science,
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

I believe the correct four-letter description of this situation has already been used in this thread....

so .. if I download ver12.4 from Xara and install it [or just stick with ver 12.2] I need to just ignore the update notices? pleas tell me there is a way to turn these off otherwise it's a joke gone too too far...

thanks acorn - it seems there are quite a few activation issues on the forum

a sensible outfit would make bug fixes separate patches - not much use to anyone who has got an activated program are they, but then that would mean different sets of bug fixes for different stages of the 365.... total pigs-ear isn't it [https://www.talkgraphics.com/showthr...99#post585099]