Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Image and text skewing / distorting megathread

Quote Originally Posted by cmpan1 View Post
    Sorry if someone already showed this or if I'm off base here, but I didn't have the patience to read the whole thread....

I feel like I'm missing something... about the skewing/distorting images thing... if I'm right, yes you can.

Cliff
    For this to work , it has to be a whole image and you have to use the fill tool. It will not work on a partial clone of an image.

Sorry if someone already showed this or if I'm off base here, but I didn't have the patience to read the whole thread....

I feel like I'm missing something... about the skewing/distorting images thing... if I'm right, yes you can.

Cliff
    I'm afraid you are missing something - the fact that you cannot do this to a group and you cannot do it to a clipviewed object - so in the example I gave earlier, after you have done the first clipview/group and you move on to the next compound adjustment to the sandbank you are screwed - it is only possible to do the fill tool operation directly on the bitmap and if Xara thinks I am going to go down through a large nested group making adjustments bitmap by bitmap in an edit inside feature where I cannot see the external context I am trying to map it to, they really have left planet earth - quite apart from the time it would take

The whole point of grouping and clipviewing as you go along is to fix and make safe/crop what you have already done to prevent accidental changes [insert irony smilie here] - the change Xara have made in ver 15 has thrown a whole workflow up in the air and crashing down in pieces - it's almost as if Xara were unaware of what their program was capable of...

@ROB I have remade the sandbank example to emphasise the point, although I do think it should have been pretty obvious , thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sandbank example remade.png 
Views:	184 
Size:	80.5 KB 
ID:	119754

sandbank example remade.xar

Oh... and for text... I use the 'text' aspect ratio tool. I know it's faster/easier just to pull/push a handle, but with the aspect ratio tool you could do individual letters and words which you could not do just with the handles. And you can be exact/precise.
    I used the Aspect Ratio for text in my XAR post; the point is is is not interactive therefore far slower and not intuitive: do i make the percentage grater than 100% to elongate the text or what? I have to "learn" this, with handles, it is intuitive and interactive.
    For individual letters, i might break the text into three parts or convert to shapes. All my choice, dependent on the design I am creating...

...also I don't think XWDP has an Aspect Ratio control.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Xar View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with you, nor have I in any of the previous replies.

I need to take some examples back of why this is important and what why users deliberately distort images and text.

As also mentioned in the original message, please keep on topic as well!
    With all due respect - Let me get this straight - you need examples to show why being able to quickly, easily distort something in a graphic? Something that was previously "quick and easy" to do? Something that was already incorporated into XARA, but was changed in Photo & Graphic Designer 15? Something that (with that version), now requires a "work-around" of some sort? What "mistakes" would a new user make, by using the previous method (just grab and drag a Handle), that the extra steps to stretch/squish text, using a "work-around" would prevent? To me, extra steps always makes extra chances for mistakes.

Respect the experience of the experienced Users, who have voiced (and given the requested "Show-and-Tell" examples) their annoyance/angst/disappointment? with XARA's step backward here. Just restore the previous method to allow stretching/squishing of text. It was simpler, quicker more intuitive and had less chance for error - for experienced or new users. No example, I'm sure the programmers know what we mean, and if the executives don't, then Heaven help XARA. I have five registered XARA programs (not including Corel/XARA), and am currently using a trial version of Photo & Graphic Designer 15. I'm not a pro, but have used XARA products for many years. I've recommended XARA for many years, also. Certain changes in XARA's direction have made me hesitant to recommend now. Rob, please ask XARA to listen to their loyal (once-loyal?) $upporter$, who really want to look forward to the next versions of XARA, without being disappointed. I hope this is "on topic" enough. I use XARA products every day, but only recently joined Talk Graphics, since having other problems with Designer Pro 365. XARA would do well to listen to the pros at TG, and possibly the non-pros who have invested time and money in their business (their programs).

I totally agree with Jagga's reply above.

Here's an example of whats broken now in 15 for absolutely no good reason. I'm aware Flash is now defunct but it is still useful to have to create avi's or to overlay in movie maker software (As used very effectively by John Brown [Browj2]).

Basically the left and right curtains are bitmaps, named left & right.
    In the next frame the bitmap is resized in the horizontal plane.
    The morph makes for a good opening/closing effect.

This is not possible to achieve in 15.

Attached stage.xar created in 11
    Attached stage15.xar created in 15
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 06 January 2018 at 05:39 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

nice one egg - not what you expect by 'tumblers' on the stage [viewing the stage15 xar in preview in ver 12] - a good example of compound objects being broken
    Last edited by handrawn; 06 January 2018 at 05:10 PM.

For what it is worth, please try to be respectful and positive in your posts. And Rob-Xar is our friend and have been very helpful and prompt in addressing member problems what we moderators can't answer. So be nice to Rob. He is our friend. Beat up on me if you have to.

you've a difficult job Rob, you do it well, we love you, you know that

and remember folks - we all, well those of us who read announcements, have Matt Bolton's email and an open invitation ...

Lightbulb Re: Image and text skewing / distorting megathread

@Rob-Xar

Text
    Xara appears to have created a Text Entity that is "designed" to fits into an HTML environment.
    I can create a text block but consequently all I can now do is change the box's dimensions. If I group Text with anything, Text behaves as if ungrouped.

I can add a shadow and it still exports as Text as you have added CSS3 style (e.g., box-shadow: 5px 5px 6px rgba(0,0,0,0.25) ; ).
    If I skew it or rotate it I get an image as the export.
    It is possibly very messy to apply, but not impossible, the CSS3 transform: matrix to text elements to provide scale (stretch and squish), rotate and skew and keep the output as Text.

I understand that, in accommodating differing line spacings, you chose to export text lines as discrete collections of SPANs.
    Perhaps, readdressing this very early design decision might call for a better CSS3 consolidation for Text handling.
    Removing SPANs would also partially allow the delivery of adaptive websites, without the use of Variants.

This all fails, however, if I add a width: I get a thin Text with no edging; I do not get an image. Perhaps you should instead apply a Contour? (But speed it up somewhat).
    Not WYSIWYG as promised by you. Now stroking is not implemented in all browsers (webkit - Safari/Chrome) but it can be simulated with shadows, which you already have.
    https://css-tricks.com/examples/TextStroke/.

My universe of discourse: Text Effects.xar.

Images
    I have no comment to make around images other than all other professional products allow distortion.
    This is the designer's choice.

I do, however, object to the artificial renaming of images to an incrementing collection of numbers that bear no resemblance to the original filename.
    I would be happy to accept the original filename appended with its matrix transform values.
    I accept this is problematic for live copies and other photographic filters and effects but one has to make a start.

To flip the Thread on its head, can Xara provide examples of current fails that are forcing it to make these changes?

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat