Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Image and text skewing / distorting megathread

Guys Rob is asking for actual examples. Put together a .xar file or post a png image showing how you would use squishing/stretching. Want this feature back? Lets fill this thread with examples!

Text squishing and stretching can be very useful for headlines. It used to be so simple to fit headlines that way. It also adds a bit of visual variety to your headlines while still maintaining a single font.

In the attached .xar file I have 2 examples of how i used to use stretching/sqiushing on headlines. I would be happy with a modifier key I could hold down while dragging side and top /bottom handles to allow me to have that ability again.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by angelize; 04 January 2018 at 11:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

here is another example this time it is a bit of descriptive text under an image. The image has text repelling set so there is only going to be so much space for the description/by line/ etc.

Again I had to reset the aspect ratio and play around with it by trial and error to get a good result and it took me far longer than it would have if I could have just grabbed the side of the text area and squished it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	textdistort.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	119739  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Thank you angelize, this is very useful to send back to them!

Do you have any examples for images as well?

Many thanks
    Rob

One use I put stretch and distort image to is when fitting a cloned copy of part of an image onto another part of the same image, one sometimes needs to stretch and distort the clone slightly to make it fit and match the destination as desired.

Can't to that with 15

The Ctrl + Shift / fill tool workaround is not practice for me in this case.

An ALT modifier to revert to original behaviour would be preferred. (or simply have a registry setting which reverts to original behaviour)

Note: in the many years I have used Xara I have never once accidentally unintentionally distorted an image. Even if I did, it's an easy fix.

I am definitely staying with 12 if the original behaviour isn't possible

Do you have any Xar files showing this? What angelize did with text in the example xar file she sent was absolutely perfect.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by angelize View Post
    ... Put together a .xar file or post a png image showing how you would use squishing/stretching. Want this feature back? Lets fill this thread with examples!
    Why? - it should just be fixed... [and I gave examples earlier - I have not got the time to play beta tester anymore]

what worries me about this thread is that instead of just restoring a basic bitmap editing fuction that is so fundamental it should never be in question, Xara is considering implementing another of their 'oh look a fancy new way of doing something that will probably have yet more unintended consequences elsewhere' features

maybe they could just implement another class of object that is actually a bitmap pure and simple for those of us who need it, and not a fill in a shape container pretending to be one -heck I might even upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Why? - it should just be fixed... [and I gave examples earlier - I have not got the time to play beta tester anymore]
    Because I'm trying to convince those who make the decisions that this is important to have and they would like to see some real examples of this. Saying this is just how something should be isn't going to change anything unfortunately.

ok, I relent, here is a very simple example of what I, and I think Promidi were talking about

look - this isn't rocket science, it is very very basic stuff

at this point even my usual hyperbole is failing me...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simple example.png 
Views:	228 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	119742  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    ok, I relent, here is a very simple example of what I, and I think Promidi were talking about

look - this isn't rocket science, it is very very basic stuff

at this point even my usual hyperbole is failing me...

Your example is exactly what I was talking about. I actually thought my verbal description was enough.

Simply put, I want the ability to stretch and distort images (and clones of parts of images) returned, otherwise, version 12 will definitely be my last version of Xara.

I don't understand this dicussion. Every Vector Editor (SerifDraw, Corel, AI, Affinity, Inkscape, OODraw etc.) has this future. Xara did also, until now? Why?
    Are we users to stupid to know our aspect ratio of our pics?
    A stupid answer like that of Xara to protect his user from unwanted change in pic ratio, I've never heard.

Why don't You say: „Hey User, it's a fault. We correct it soon.” Than do it and we are happy with a feauture that was there, will be there and may be there again.