Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default JPG Corrupted, suggestions for repair tools? Unknown or invalid jpg marker type found

My wife's camera corrupted a bunch of photos on her SD card. I've retrieved a bunch of them with an undelete program, but have not had any luck with the jpg repair programs I've tried on the others. error says "unknown or invalid jpg marker type is found". Has anyone had luck recovering files with this error? I've downloaded a number of demo programs, all seem to be junk.
    Thanks!

Jim

Default Re: JPG Corrupted, suggestions for repair tools? Unknown or invalid jpg marker type f

Jim,

I don't know the answer to your dilemma but I have a piece of advice for your wife. Tell her that one should NEVER delete photos with the camera. The reason is that cameras (all cameras, I'm afraid even expensive full frame and medium format cameras) have a nasty habit of corrupting the other files and even DELETEING the other images if you try to delete any single image. Fortunately, this doesn't happen often but it DOES happen. If you want to delete an image, delete it with your computer and NOT with the camera itself.

Hope this info helps.

Mark

Default Re: JPG Corrupted, suggestions for repair tools? Unknown or invalid jpg marker type f

Thanks for the info, but that wasn't the case. She just fills up the card then gives the camera to me to remove them. Something happened and the camera locked up on the last shot. Had to pull the battery to shut it off. Switched cards and soldiered on. Afterward when I took the card to remove the photos, a bunch had been corrupted. Oh well.

Hey jim,

Did you get a solution yet? JPEG marker is very common. I highly recommend a good and reliable JPEG Repair tool. Personally, I like Stellar Phoenix JPEG Repair as it works for me well and is easy to use. If you are looking for a easy solution. Go for this. Also, I'm new here. Give me a thumbs up!

No I have not found a solution. Had tried Stellar Phoenix, and several other programs, without success. Had also tried opening in another program, which I also was unable to do. I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Jim