Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default RE: Suggestion: Color Code Feature for Page & Layer Gallery

I would like the option to color code pages and layers and objects (e.g., shapes, images, text, etc.) in the Page & Layer Gallery. This would be useful to informally and quickly organize content into groups in a way that it is easy to visually scan the list while working. This would be helpful if a person has many pages or layers or objects and roughly wants to organize content by theme.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171231_color_code_pages_layers_idea.png 
Views:	135 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	119690
    For instance, if making a presentation with 60 slides that reports research findings from a study, it may be useful to group the slides into groups of Introduction, Literature Review, Research Design, Method, Results, Discussion, Conclusion. Or, if making a graphic or diagram, it may be useful to group groups of objects. For instance, let's say I am making a metaphorical graphic of business processes as a team of three people. Each person in the team represents a different business process. Each person is composed of a head, torso, and limbs. Each subdivision of a person is a group (i.e., person one's limbs objects are one group, and his/her head objects are another group, etc.). Each person is a layer. Each group of three persons is a team and each team is a group of layers. If moving around multiple teams, it may be useful to have them color coded so that it would be quick and easy to know which team is which.

Lastly, I use another application that offers such a color coding strategy for its layers, modo, and it is very useful. Please see the below image for an example from that system. Note that in this example, you can see both groups and individual layers color coded.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171231_color_code_layers_modo_idea.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	119691
    I hope this is useful.

Default Re: Suggestion: Color Code Feature for Page & Layer Gallery

I agree. And Master Pages too.

I am moving this thread to Dear Xara which is where bug reports and feature requests belong. Not very intuitive I'm afraid.

+1.

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll pass it on to be looked at as a possible new feature.

Thanks,
    Stephen

Thank you, Stephen. I'd also like to say that I support Gary's suggestion as well. It would be helpful to have master forms. It does address some of or even most of the functionality that I am suggesting. I suppose you could reclassify what I'm suggesting as a visual cue added to what Gary is suggesting.

Hi Stephen, could I suggest your username includes some detail re your Xara employment status? At present it just appears that you're any old member, not someone from support or a dev
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

yep - after now being able to give names to objects in the gallery as well as layers and pages, this is the next logical step

[and then nested layers, but I'll not hold my breath on that one..]

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yep - after now being able to give names to objects in the gallery as well as layers and pages, this is the next logical step
    [and then nested layers, but I'll not hold my breath on that one..]
    On the tangential subject of naming objects in the Page and Layer gallery, it would make great sense if such naming actually linked into the Name gallery.

One example is importing a Paxabay Stock Photo presents "Photo 'stock30955.jpg' (731 dpi)" in the Page and Layer gallery.
    I would also then like to have the Names gallery create "filename='stock30955.jpg'".
    If the image was then modified, by all means, append an incremental numbering to the Name.

SEO would benefit and subsequent upload times will reduce as no time is squandered upload the unchanged image.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Yes, but they'd need to fix the issue of named images between variants first Acorn.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    On the tangential subject of naming objects in the Page and Layer gallery, it would make great sense if such naming actually linked into the Name gallery
    sounds good too