Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I have started using Rhino recently. So far I've not good luck with lighting and coloring objects.

I produced the image on the left using Rhino Render (no lights). The housing's components were all given the same transparency. I didn't have the budget or TIME to do anything more.

The image on the left just was not diagramatically clear enough so I brought it into Xara X and overlayed some tranparent objects to high-light the important elements as shown in the image on the right.

I realize this can't come close to matching the masterpieces the rest of you folks have posted, but it will probably take someone back on memory lane when they were starting out.

Regards ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	compactors.png 
Views:	227 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	4965  

I have started using Rhino recently. So far I've not good luck with lighting and coloring objects.

I produced the image on the left using Rhino Render (no lights). The housing's components were all given the same transparency. I didn't have the budget or TIME to do anything more.

The image on the left just was not diagramatically clear enough so I brought it into Xara X and overlayed some tranparent objects to high-light the important elements as shown in the image on the right.

I realize this can't come close to matching the masterpieces the rest of you folks have posted, but it will probably take someone back on memory lane when they were starting out.

Regards ...

...looks like you're doing ok with Rhino to me. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The lighting & colouring CAN be a tad difficult to get a grip on though. Rhino is not generally used for "real" rendering; it just isn't strong enough for it. What you'll find is that you need to use more then just a couple lights, and change your document's "Ambient" bg Render colour for each different project; to produce the underlying "mood" you want for each specific image.

BUT...
    I've found you a tutorial that might help explain some things to you on this subject. I hope it's helpful:

http://www.renderosity.com/~spike/lo...t/lighttut.htm

And here's the main tutorial list page i got that tute link from:

http://www.renderosity.com/~spike/

for the tips. It seems its going to take a lot of experimentation for me to get the feel of things.

My initial impression was that lighting is more complex than it needs to be to get a general "artistic low-level" style (no fancy surface reflections or detailed shadowing), but since its not I'll have quit fighting it and start practicing more [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

It is nice, though, that I can use a program like Xara as a very-quick (10 minutes in this example) and dirty way to doctor something up.

John,

Looks like your Rhino work is pretty good to me. And the enhancements is Xara look great. The reason I fell in love with 3d is my inability to do that kind of work in 2d. I just could not draw and color/shade objects well enough to get the 3 dimensional look.

--Randy

Randy, thanks and the "ditto" for me. I can do somethings in 2D but it can take so darn long to do and then when I am done I'd discover a better viewing angle was needed. Thus, 3D; which still takes me a long time because I'm not proficient with the tools. At least now I not stuck with a static 2D object.

Hey John,

I liked how you doctored it up in Xara. That definitely added a visual appeal to it.

John,

I might stand alone in this, but I retouch my modeling using both XARA X and Photoshop. I think your instincts served you well.

You practicew enough with XARA, and you find that really tough modeling areas to negotiate can be quickly accomplished by "faking" it.

The attached is a logo for an article I wrote on eFuse. I traced over the models I created, and enhanced them using XARA. The net? I could scale my "3D" creations.

My Best,

Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	123.JPG 
Views:	185 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	4359  
    Gary David Bouton
    Gary@GaryDavidBouton.com
    Free education! The Writings Web site
    and the updated GaryWorld Gallery is pretty okay, too.