Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Way to Publish so .com versus .com/index.htm can be used?

Is there a way to publish a website so people can access it with just a .com address (versus .com/index.htm)?

Default Re: Way to Publish so .com versus .com/index.htm can be used?

Yes. As long as there is an index.htm file you do not need to add the index.htm to the address. The browser looks for an index file and loads it automatically.

I renamed my entire site "index" and also made sure the Home page was named "index," then exported as an htm file (not sure how to get it to export as an html or if it makes a differenc). If I just type in the domain name: harmonyhuntingpudels.com, I get this message: "Forbidden. You don't have permission to access / on this server. Apache Server at harmonyhuntingpudels.com Port 80." Yet, I can access my site if I type in http://harmonyhuntingpudels.com/index.htm. What else can I do to avoid having user have to use the "/index.htm" at the end?

Also, can someone help me figure out how to get my Home page to appear at the top of the screen?

Thank you for always taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate it and am learning a lot.
    Last edited by DesignSponge; 30 December 2017 at 02:14 PM.

I'm not sure why the page is not loading with just the domain name. Acorn, Egg any ideas.

On your home page. Is the background image on the Page or Background layer?

I "Set Pasteboard Background" (scrolling). That said, I think that means it is on the background layer.

Try naming the homepage index.html (i.e. with an "l" on the end) and see if that makes any difference.

I "Set Pasteboard Background" (scrolling). That said, I think that means it is on the background layer.
    Then select Fixed and see if that works.

You're awesome! Changing the extension to html (from htm) worked as far as the .com versus .com/index.htm goes.

However, changing the pasteboard background from scrolling to fixed did nothing. My Home page still is not at the top of the screen. Any other suggestions on that?

I'm not sure about the home page problem. I notice that if you click a link and then click home it comes up at the top. I suggest that you upload the file here and hopefully somebody with more experience will take a look at it for you.

I have a feeling the problem might be something to do with a named object or perhaps even an invisible object but I'm not an expert.

Not really checked but you may have done something to the origin.
    I "fixed" it by changing:
    <style>
    #xr_xr {top:-500px;}
    </style>
    where top was set to 0px.

In passing, we have two standard poodles whose instinct is to hunt anything.
    Yesterday, I had a deer cross our path just ahead and I was able to command back the one that was loose despite being in full pursuit; I was proud of him and our training.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat